Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Beta with fin rot update

Beta with fin rot update 5 months 3 weeks ago #69408

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
Ever since I moved the Beta into the 5.5 gallon. His fins started looking ragged. He had fin damage to begin with but it accelerated closing in on the weekend to the point where I decided to medicate, drop the temp to 77 and add in salt

The tank is still attempting to cycle. I have been using ammonia lock to keep the ammonia from spiking too high.

It has gone as high as .50 ppm before doing a water change and the nitrite under .25 ppm.

The ammonia lock has kept the ammonia from going past .25 ppm. It keeps it down to zero for two days.

At Big Als, I was told it was definitely fin rot by the one who has seen it all by now. The last two pics were taken over a period of two days. On Saturday and Monday. Before I added the salt it was starting to go past the halfway mark and into the last quarter of the tail. I'm feeling a little frustrated by it all. He is such a beautiful fish.

Is there something in this setup that could be stressing him out? He's active and has a good appetite.

It\s a 5.5 gallon tank.

The driftwood is still leaching tannin causing the PH to drop below 7 but I don't think that should be it considering betas are okay with PH being that low....
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 3 weeks ago #69409

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Not really sure cougar but I would guess that the chances of the fins healing whilst the fish is battling a cycling tank are somewhat lower.

The fin rot experience that I had with some silver dollars that I bought was pretty painless-a week of meds, clean water=new growth within days and all healed in a few weeks.

Do you have any way of getting some already cycled media from your other setup into this tank? Cable tie a piece of sponge to your bubble filter or maybe some bio-rings in a stocking attached in someway? It shouldn't take much of a media transplant to cycle a 5 gallon tank.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Good luck mate

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 3 weeks ago #69410

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Nitrate 1 - 2 ppm
ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

I only use a sponge in my 65 gallon. I don't use the bio-rings or anything like that.

what are the benefits of the bio-rings? I'm really curious

Maybe I can snip off a piece of my sponge. It holds so much junk in a week that it has be teaming with beneficial bacteria,

I snipped a piece off my sponge in the 65 gallon.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 3 weeks ago #69412

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Bio rings/ceramic rings basically provide a larger surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonise. The ceramic is full of hundreds/thousands/many tiny pores which provide extra nooks and crannies for helpful little bugs to live in.

I would suggest that snipping off a little sponge and attaching it to your filtration in the 5g could only help your current situation.

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69413

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
This is due to tail-biting. I've seen my betta Marshall swimming in circles attacking his tail like he was fighting another betta. It's just in their genetics. All three of my half-moon/fancy-tail bettas have chewed their tails at some point. My plakat bettas and my veil-tail bettas have never bitten their tails though.

Here's my Feathertail Betta before he started biting his tail.

Here's my Feathertail after he started biting his tail.

Here's the Feathertail about a year later when his tail had nearly grown back. He developed different colors but it's the same betta. I had moved him to a different tank in another location and he had stopped biting his tail for nearly a year. He looks so pissed off it's funny. :laughcry:

Here's 'Marshall' before he started biting his tail.

And here's Marshall about a year after he began biting his tail. He hadn't bitten his tail for at least a couple months when this photo was taken because you can see the black outline had regrown around his tail.

I'd like to hear if others have had similar experiences with their fancy-tail bettas.

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 2 weeks ago #69415

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
I cut off a piece of sponge on my 65 gallon and tied it to the filter in the 5.5 gallon...

Fingers crossed this should hopefully help the cycle should be quicker.

I added in prime to help detoxify the ammonia affects
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Beta with fin rot or is he biting his own tail? 5 months 1 week ago #69613

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Thanks to Tarheel96 he spotted the issue and several pms and one week of furan2 treatments later. The color of his face has turned from a white, light to mid grey to a very dark grey. It was a bacterial infection. The tail is in rough shape but there is new growth on the dorsal and anal fin now. I hope the tail grows back but it may take a while as it did reach the last quarter of the tail itself.

I'm in the process of cycling the sponge in a bucket of water. Good news he's no longer losing chunks of his tail at an alarming rate.

Thanks Tarheel96 you saved me from losing Isaac to fish heaven :)
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Beta with fin rot update 5 months 6 days ago #69615

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 105
Cougar....your betta was biting his tail as a result of a bacterial infection?

Beta with fin rot update 5 months 6 days ago #69616

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
It was because of the plant in front of the driftwood. I only caught him a couple of times biting his tail, as soon as I moved the plant in front of the driftwood I haven't seen him do it since.

Looking back on the pictures he's had this bacterial infection since I brought him home. It accelerated as soon as I placed the heater in. Apparently the lighter grayish color on his face cleared up to a dark grey when I treated with Furan2.

The anal fin is back to full length with new growth, the dorsal fin is longer with new growth and the tail will take time. It looks like there is some new growth from certain angles.

The tank takes a week for the ammonia to rise with out the sponge. I figure this is the best for him after everything he's been through. I figure he needs a break.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds