Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Black algae

Black algae 5 months 3 weeks ago #68982

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Agree with all the above. I've never had it where manual removal didn't keep it in check. Some is great for your fish and critters to comb through. If it keeps growing out of control, like said above, you've got to figure out what's out of balance; Your lighting, nutrients, etc.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Black algae 5 months 3 weeks ago #69007

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
Running it under hot tap water seems to have gotten rid of it, for now. At least I know how to control it, but I'll have try and figure out why it's happening in the first place in my aquarium. Thanks for your help everyone :)
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Black algae 5 months 3 weeks ago #69009

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
Just another account for you to consider... I never had bba in the past, but in the last 3 years or so I've had it consistently in my 125g. I keep track of nitrates well, and this stuff has really over taken my driftwood. I've made no attempts to manually remove it but I think I'm going to take all the driftwood out soon and dry it to kill the algae. Dry it out for a few months or so.

I've been able to keep it in check in my 20g by keeping the lights off. My 125g is on a timer because I have plants in there, but the 20g I only turn lights on when I get home from work and then off right before bed, averaging probably 3-4 hours of light a day, aside from ambient light. That tank has had small tufts of bba, but it's never really gained a strong foothold. I'm positive this tank has higher nitrates as well - I have 20+ geophagus babies and 30-35 baby bristlenose plecos and feed them heavily.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Black algae 4 months 5 days ago #69711

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
Recently I watched a video discussing algae in aquariums. They brought up something I've always overlooked, ambient lighting. This has brought me to wonder about the heater in my aquarium and the tv in the room with the aquarium.. Both of these have a red light, they are also facing the backside of the log, the part where the black algae keeps growing. The tv light is on 24/7 and the heater comes on and off constantly. Could this be causing my issue :huh: ?

Anyways, I wasn't able to control the algae, the log has been removed and boiled. I may be returning the aquarium soon since the BBA hasn't grown back while sitting in a bucket of water with an air stone. It's been there a couple weeks. If it grows back, I know its something going on in my main aquarium.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds