Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adding plants to an established tank?

Adding plants to an established tank? 2 years 6 months ago #64179

• decal08
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi again!

I was wondering, when adding new plants to a tank that already has a few, do we need to remove all the water first before planting it?
I know that too much disturbance in the soil with water present might make your tank cloudy.

Or is it safe just to stick those plants in the soil directly (with water)?

Also, what are some newbie friendly plants? (small ones)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Adding plants to an established tank? 2 years 6 months ago #64220

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
No, you don't need to remove the water when planting new plants. Disturbing the soil shouldn't result in any lasting cloud unless your filter isn't mature or large enough and you get a bacterial bloom. These are usually milky white or cloudy looking. How long has the tank been running? Tell me about the plants, tank size, filtration, lighting, etc. Do you have fish or shrimp in this tank?

I'll suggest the same plant I always do: Hygrophila corymbosa or 'Compacta' or 'Temple compacta' from petsmart or petco in the plastic tubes. I have seriously mixed feelings about suggesting anything from these pet supermarkets but their 'compacta' is the nicest I've seen. It's very easy to grow, grows at a moderate rate, and you don't have to worry about snails, worms, ich, or other fish diseases because the plants come in the plastic tubes.

I'd need to know more about your tank, lighting, and substrate before suggesting anything else. Do you use a fertilizer?

Here's some if mine. They're the plants with large green leaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh

Adding plants to an established tank? 2 years 6 months ago #64222

• shinneh
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 28
Does that plant require CO2 supplementation? Any special lighting? I assume at the least root tabs?
125g 2 Red Tiger Severum F1, 1 Spotted Severum F1, Silver dollars, and Sterbai Corys

Adding plants to an established tank? 2 years 6 months ago #64228

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
You don't necessarily need CO2 injection for hygrophila corymbosa, but glutaral products for CO2 can help. Special lighting is always required for planted tanks. Special meaning the proper color/temp range and adequate PAR/PUR output for the specific setup.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds