Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Forgot to dechlorinate!

Forgot to dechlorinate! 2 years 7 months ago #63658

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
This was on my 55g goldfish tank. I drained the water down to about 25% and had it refilled to 80-90% before I realized I never added Prime before refilling! :ohmy: I quickly added a heavy dose when I realized I forgot. So far I've seen no ill-effects. The fish are as happy and active as they always are and the nitrogen cycle is still doing it's thing. I just did another measure for ammonia. 0ppm.

On Sundays I do WCs on my Oscar tank (75g) and goldfish tank. They're on a double top/bottom stand, so it's usually pretty quick and easy. I was all tired and cranky being in the middle of a some 4pm-4am shifts, had gotten up about noon and was doing these WCs before heading back to work. This was the first and hopefully last time I forget to dose dechlorinator!
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Forgot to dechlorinate! 2 years 7 months ago #63660

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
I wouldn't expect to see any ill effects after only a few minutes of them being in chlorinated water. Before I learned about fishkeeping, I had three 1-2" goldfish live in a 1 gallon bowl for three months and the water never was dechlorinated. ~1 year later, all three are alive. One is 6-7" and the other two are 4-5".....all seemingly healthy and thriving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh

Forgot to dechlorinate! 2 years 7 months ago #63662

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
I did the same thing on my 29 planted not long ago and on a JD tank weeks before that. I realized I had forgotten to add Safe to the aged water so I added it to the main tank while filling it just before it was full. The filters were off both times. There was never a problem. I do have chloramines which I believe are somewhat less toxic than chlorine over the very short term but not by much. Should be fine.

Forgot to dechlorinate! 2 years 6 months ago #63665

• tom
  • Thank you received: 236
Goldfish, roaches and spiders will outsurvive us all.
:lol:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds