Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question

Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question 2 years 7 months ago #63448

Hi all.... :peace:

I cycled a fluval edge 2 46 ltr. all stats were great...

then I added 12 neons 4 amanos 3 rcs and 3 ottos... all over time...

I then noticed my Nitrite go up...

I have been told I have overstocked and also that I havent....

Nothing I can do about it now as the fish are there and I cant take them back to the store...

I use sera toxivec which kills the nitrite on the spot... But how do I get the filter to build up more bactaria to deal with the Nitrites...

Is there a larger filter I can use like the fluval filter c3? I think the one I've got in there now is the one that comes with the tank and is a aqua clear 20 I think...

Any help is apprecitated...

Regards
Rob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question 2 years 7 months ago #63450

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The issue you seem to be experiencing isn't a function of the filter being too small but rather there not being enough beneficial bacteria (BB) in the AC20 to sufficiently consume the nitrites your livestock is producing.

I suggest daily dosing Seachem Prime (or a similar ammonia/nitrite neutralizer) until your tank grows enough BB to handle your livestock. While dosing with Prime, I'd perform daily nitrite & nitrate tests. Eventually you'll see both Ammonia and Nitrite consistently test at 0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nightstalker3188

Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question 2 years 7 months ago #63451

Im using sera toxivec which is getting rid of the nitrite nicley....
was pretty much what I thought I may have to do... was hoping that the tank will build up enouch nitrite killing bacteria to cope...
I'll keep dosing with aqua safe and bio media until I dont have to ... in the meantime I'll do 3 25% water changes a week...
Hopefully it wont take to long until I get this sorted...
forgot to add... the Ammonia is always at 0... so the ammonia killing bacteria is there... just not the Nitrite one... Nitrate strangley enough is also reading 0... wonder if that has anything to do with the sera toxivec I am using...

Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question 2 years 7 months ago #63452

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
As long as NitrIte is being read by your testing, the NItrate readings are irrelevant. Nitrate tests cannot be accurate in the presence of pre-existing nitrite.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Fluval Edge 2 46ltr Filtration question 2 years 7 months ago #63453

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
My apologies Nighstalker. I didn't realize the Sera product was an ammonia/nitrite neutralizer. Is it this one....
www.sera.de/en/products/in_category/wass...ra-bio-nitrivec.html

Anyway....regarding your Nitrates being 0. I doubt you have a ton of plants consuming all the Nitrates. If that's the case, nitrates begin showing as the BB (a different type than what produces Nitrites) begin consuming all of the nitrites. It makes perfect sense that you have nitrites without any nitrates. Eventually you'll see the nitrates rising and the nitrites lowering,....eventually to zero. At that point your tank is truly cycled (ie. consistent 0 readings for both ammonia and nitrites) and your nitrates will continually rise until you remove them from your tank via a water change or plant consumption.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds