Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expensive and rare fish in the hobby

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9488

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Hallo friends

I will start this topic with Channa barca, they are not only very rare no if you are lucky enough to see one you will maybe not able to buy them. Here in Europe they start from 1000-1200 Euros but a male prime exemplar could go up to like 2000 Euros so 2700 US Dollars. Maybe they are available in Canada but i think of the longer way from the Indian jungle to the american continent they may go up a bit more expensive..

This species need at minimum tanks of 250Gallons and mostly grow up to 24-27inches and its like the holy grail of Channa keepers

Barcas

Aurantimaculata

Many people try to sell fake Barcas that are actually Aurantimaculata that are not cheap at all with like 50-90 USD for one exemplar but not even near the original that growths larger and got a different colouring.

Do anybody know another expensive and rare fish in the hobby?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9489

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 111
Tetraodon mbu go for anywhere from $100-$250 for 4" babies.

Our store had one that was about 30" that someone dropped off. We donated it to the Newport Aquarium.

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9490

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
So much of it is subjective, though. I would never get an mbu, even if I did have a tank big enough. I probably would bother with stingrays, Arapaima, RTCs, etc, either.

Here are a few of the ones I am still looking for:

Tomocichla asfraci

Biotecus opercularis

Ivanacara adoketa. I have one male, and he needs a lady friend.

I've crossed a bunch of fish off me "bucket list" in the last couple years, but there's always another one to add.

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9491

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Datnioides pulcher

Datnioides pulcher nearly impossible to get them. If they are real Datnioides pulcher not Datnioides microlepis they will cost like 7-800 US Dollar. The reason would be its very difficult to form a breeding pair and than the rising of the fry is another thing because they need a mix of fresh and brakish water. Wild catched ones are just available on the black marked because the export of these species is prohibited by the local government authority of there habitat country.

they are slow growers and it would at least take 5-6 years for them to get there final size..

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9492

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
L137 Cochliodon soniae

Cochliodon soniae also named blue eye pleco is very, very rare and if they are available the disappear directly in crazy rich mans collections. I just saw two exemplars that was wild catched. Pirce is between 350-500 US Dollar directed to there size..

If anybody get them to multiply a single spawn of 40-50 baby's could easily bring 3000-4000 USD :P

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9493

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
Dat DAT. B)

Adonis plecos are rare and crazy expensive here, too. Juveniles go for a reasonable price that happens to be on the high end, but you can get a 2" fish for about $60-$70 retail IF you can find someone who has them. Young ones are black with a lovely white spotting and a lyre tail. Once they grow (and the get HUGE) they get armor from about the pelvic fins back that will spilt your skin right open, and they aren't shy about tail-whipping you.

Notice how he is handling this monster with a very thick glove on the business end.

I don't think any pleco enthusiast would be shy about laying down $400-$500 dollars if they had a chance to pick this beast up.

There was a very sexy Hypostomus luteus at OCA over the weekend that was fetching $500. I think they sold it, but I'm not sure. he was probably a solid 10", maybe 12". Didn't quite have the solid golden color, but he was halfway, which is really cool, since he still had some spots, but all the fins and the back half of the body was already gold.

Looked kind of like this one, but not as nice. I took pictures, but I haven't uploaded them yet.

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9494

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
Keeping with the pleco theme, L46 will clean out your bank account, but despite the high price tag, a fair number of people in MI have them and are breeding them, as well as in other places around the US. I wouldn't try to keep them, though. One of my best friends got her hands on a small group, and she said it was the most high-anxiety fish. She would go to work and wonder if they were dying while she was gone, frantically check on them as soon as she got home, and generally do nothing but fret about the damn things that she eventually just sold them to a serious hobbyist and breathed a sigh of relief because if they died after that, at least it wouldn't be on her. LOL

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9496

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Astronotus rubroocellatus

Astronotus rubroocellatus is the cousin of Astronotus ocellatus and nearly unobtainable. If there are some available they are mostly wild catches. As Oscar lovers we should actually start to melt now ;)

shop.panta-rhei-aquatics.com/Suesswasser...oocellatus::421.html

My option on them is that they look really cool but it would suck to spend like 1500 USD for forming your own breeding pair and than the most pail ones start out to make out with each other :P

Here we have nearly adult rubroocellatus already 10 inches for 300 Euros = 405,87 US-Dollar for one Oscar :)

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9503

• whitneygene
  • Advice Team
Well, I just found another one to add to the list! LOL

Dicrossus maculatus

Expensive and rare fish in the hobby 4 years 10 months ago #9504

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
L114 pleco

This pleco is not that rare but still an exotic in the hobby. They are the counterpart of Whitneys L46 the problem on them is they become 16-17 inches and need tanks with an large surface area. Prices are since years constant. juvenil exemplars at 4-5 inches cost about 60 US Dollar and adults 220-260 US Dollar. A working breeding pair could cost 700-800 US Dollars.

Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds