Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Northfin fish food

Northfin fish food 3 years 9 months ago #5491

• wickedlestor
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 31
Ordered some of the 3mm pellets today. From the ingrediant list seems to be a real good food. From a few other websites i visited it was compared to NLS and Dainichi.

here is the link to the website.

www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=15

Thought I would share B)

Cheers
How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Northfin fish food 3 years 9 months ago #5495

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 897
Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, High Omega-3 (DHA), Herring Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Wheat Flour, Kelp, Spirulina, Garlic, Astaxanthin (Haematococcus Algae), Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Acetate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphospate (Source of Vitamin C), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), DL Alphatocopherol (E), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine, Calcium Pantothenate, Hydrochloride B6, Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Selenium, Zinc.

Thanks much for the share. Looks outstanding. Meets all qualifications we look for in an outstanding food, an even better ingredient list than NLS. Certainly necessitates more investigation. I wonder if it is available in the U.S.?
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jwheeler

Northfin fish food 3 years 9 months ago #5496

• wickedlestor
  • Aequidens rivulatus
I just sent them an email asking if they had any distributers in the US, and if not when would it be available in the US

will let ya know B)

Cheers

Northfin fish food 3 years 9 months ago #5779

• wickedlestor
  • Aequidens rivulatus
So i got the pellets, and tossed a couple in the tank and just as i expected, the fish gobbled them up in no time. :)

I have not heard back from them yet. However, after doing some reading, they are not available in the US as of yet, There are a view Canadian sites that will ship internationally

www.Petsandponds.com
www.JLaquatics.com

Cheers

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12479

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 474
Bump.

www.bigalsonline.com is selling Northfin fish food now, and they will ship to the US. Might grab a few bags of this stuff myself. B)
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12481

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
Man, I just wish Big Al's sold a smaller pack. 8 oz (250g) is a lot of food to just try it for $15.

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12482

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 474
It's better than paying 15$ and getting a tiny little sample... :)
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12483

• kmuda
  • Admin
~rush~ wrote:
Bump.

www.bigalsonline.com is selling Northfin fish food now, and they will ship to the US. Might grab a few bags of this stuff myself. B)

Thanks for the heads up. Now they just need a floating pellet.

This stuff right here could possibly be our first 6 star food. 85% Whole Antarctic Krill Meal. If was making my own food, this is probably what it would be.

www.bigalspets.com/krill-gold-2-mm-sinking-pellets-80-g.html

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12484

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 169
so what are they using a preservative?

Edit: found this
Emiry wrote:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! That's too much food to use up! Hopefully smaller sizes will become available. :)
By the way, here's the response I got from Northfin, they said it was fine for me to post it:

Thank You for supporting Canadian products.

Northfin fish food are made in our facility and we do not have or use any preservatives. We do not use any oils or fats and would be no need to ad any. Also we find our formulas stable when kept properly.
All our main ingredients are ordered fresh from Canadian factories, we do not buy or import any from offshore.

Answer to the second question: Ingredient analysis are based on the dry form. Whole Krill or Whole Kelp will always be in the first place as the main ingredient with the highest percentage.

So the food must have a short shelf life once opened?

Northfin fish food 3 years 3 months ago #12510

• kmuda
  • Admin
Not necessarily. The drying process itself is a preservative. If you've ever been to Asia, you will be familiar with "Dried Fish" and these are fish that are just dried in the sun, packaged up, put on a shelf, and shipped around the world. No preservatives used. No refrigeration. Dried (and salted) meats are how mankind preserved their excess food before refrigeration. It's how many third world cultures still do it.

The prevalence of preservatives in fish food is less about preserving than it is about preventing fires aboard ship. Improperly dried Fish Meal (and other "fatty" meal products) have been known to spontaneously combust. To prevent this, laws require meal products be preserved using Ethoxyquin, BHA, BHA, or or a "tocopherol-based liquid antioxidant", if they are going to be shipped via boat.

A properly dried product, if properly stored and prevented from getting wet, will last 6 months to a year, absent preservatives. While the preservatives can extend that period to several years, who is going to have a bag of food sitting unused for several years. Not me.

All of that said, while Northfin does not use any preservatives in the manufacturing of their foods without knowing the source of their meals (they say all products entering the manufacturing phase are in dry form...... dry form = meal), we cannot confirm the absence of preservatives in their foods. While they don't add it, if the meals arrived on a boat, they will have been preserved with BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin, or a "tocopherol-based liquid antioxidant".

However, they do specify that their source products are locally sourced from Canadian companies, which actually does make it possible to have an Ethoxyquin free food. We know it's possible. Hikari, Aqueon, and Zoo Med pull it off.

We might have our first 6 star food. :woohoo:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds