Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72107

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the help.

I have 2 zebra snails as the cleanup crew for my O in the tank... I used them to cycle it but then learned that the Oscar would bully them. Now that he's gotten larger he picks them up in his mouth, swims around the tank, then spits them out. I never considered that he would actually eat them :laughcry:
I thought he was merely passing time by fooling around :lol:

So now the snails keep away from 'No mans land'. Aka the sand substrate which they can't grab onto and get picked up.

Should I actually worry about him consuming them?

Almost forgot, is this the Vitachem you guys are talking about? www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708...-1&keywords=Vitachem

I just want to make sure.

I will keep trying the mangoes and will let you guys know when I try with the grapes, watermelon, strawberry etc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72108

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
...Almost forgot, is this the Vitachem you guys are talking about? www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16708...-1&keywords=Vitachem....

Yep....that's it!!

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72110

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
I think your snails are in the steal helmet family. I doubt even an adult Oscar could crush there shell because it's very strong.
But if he could crack them of course he would eat them. Snails and other invertebrates are the natural main food source of Oscars.
Compared by other animals Astronotus is by nature something like the wild boar of the amazon.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72111

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Yeah, he won't break the shell anytime soon.

Good news, he ate the strawberries and grapes! :cheer:

He doesn't seem to like the grape skin though... :dry:

When I use the Vitachem to soak bloodworms etc, should I put it in with a bit of aquarium water and the food? Otherwise, I'd be using quite a bit at a time.

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72112

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Pellets are the best to soak liquid Vitamin. Another good option is to inject 1 to 2 ml in a half frozen smelt.

But you don't have to overdo the Vitamin thing. If you feed a big spectrum of different foods like debated than once a week is enough. At best right before or one day before your regular water change.

Yes they don't like the skin of the Grapes but they like the meat inside and they only destroy Grapes if they feel that. If there is all skin around they are not interested.

I feeded my big guys with close to 14" also later only 4 to 5 times a week. Trying to mix it as random as possible like

Frozen Artemia
Fruit/veggi
Pellets
Live
Octopus/shrimp/mussle

Random spiders and moths if some to manage to come inside.

I did this with all my Oscars and never had one that was an adict to some kind of food brand.
I learned to keep that for the very error i did with my first big cichlid. A wanted Nigrofasciata that turned out to be a Chancho. May looks the same but it's very different in size. This Boy was a true pig but he was raised on the cheapest floating tetra sticks and he did not touched anything else.

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72113

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
...When I use the Vitachem to soak bloodworms etc, should I put it in with a bit of aquarium water and the food? Otherwise, I'd be using quite a bit at a time.

Vitachem is a great source of liquid to rehydrate and/or marinate. I don't believe mixing aquarium water is necessary unless you're trying to make the Vitachem last longer. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been using the same 16oz bottle for ~2 years and still have 1/4 of it left.

Like toom explained, many folks inject Vitachem into meaty foods prior to serving to their fish. Rather than injecting, I found soaking the meaty food for 24 hours works better for me. I bought a bunch of small (1.5"x2") zip lock bags. I put the shrimp/tilapia into one of those bags, put some Vitachem in the bag, move the meat and Vitachem to a corner of the bag, zip-lock seal the bag, twist the bag up so that the meat and Vitachem are localized into the corner of the bag and twist tie the meat and Vitachem into place. I then place the twist tied bag into the refrigerator for 24 hours until it's time to serve. That method works better for me than injecting.

You could employ the same approach with your freeze dried blood worms in order to minimize the amount of Vitachem being used. With the approach above, I probably dump ~1/4 tsp of Vitachem down the drain after serving the shrimp/tilapia. I don't think you'd need to soak the blood worms for 24 hours since they are so thin and would become fully saturated very quickly.

FYI...I usually use the same bag for 2-3 weeks - I rinse it out with tap water and let it air dry in between uses.

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72116

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks, I'll try it all out soon. I found that it's best to do a water change right after feeding the fruits. :)

Feeder Fish 5 months 1 week ago #72117

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
My option is the best soaking for from liquid vitamins to garlic extract or medication is a mid size 6 mm grain pellet.
It has a very high absorbing rate compared to meat and it is soft. The fish don't chew on them and most likley just gobble them right off away what helps to keep your water clean.
The gutt loaded smelt is another option but compared to the first one it's more messy.

Feeder Fish 5 months 6 days ago #72120

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.

Water change tomorrow ;)
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds