Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 3 days ago #72091

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
...Do you use the Vitachem?

Just wondering how to use it and whether it's worth it...

Be sure to refrigerate Vitachem - if you do, it seemingly lasts forever. I've been using a 16oz bottle for ~2 years. It still smells the same as it did when it was new. It feels like I have ~1/4 of the bottle left.

I once bought some Seachem Nourish but it only lasted ~2 weeks even though it was refrigerated. If it lasted longer, I'd probably alternate marinating the tilapia/shrimp with Vitachem and Nourish.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 2 days ago #72095

• Oscarmon
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks, I appreciate the help, can I soak this with my bloodworms too? I'm guessing so but would like a confirmation.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 2 days ago #72096

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Oscarmon wrote:
... can I soak this with my bloodworms too?...

Certainly...especially if they're freeze dried. If they're frozen I'm not sure how much of the Vitachem would get soaked up as they're pretty saturated with the red goop they're frozen with.

Now that you mention it, I've got a tank of convicts I've been messing with. Every few days I feed them frozen blood worms....they think they're awesome. I wonder if they'd be as excited if I soaked freeze dried blood worms in Vitachem. I'll have to give it a try...thanks for the idea!!

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 2 days ago #72097

• Oscarmon
Thanks again and you're welcome i guess?

Anyways, when feeding mangoes to my O, can i just use the freezer stuff from the store?

Oranges. When you said Clementine oranges, I don't mean any offense, but is that canned? i don't think the syrup with it would be good... But I'm not the expert with the whole fruit thing. That's why I'm here :)

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 2 days ago #72098

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Oscarmon wrote:
...when feeding mangoes to my O, can i just use the freezer stuff from the store?....
Yeah....frozen fruit is perfectly fine for Oscars. I thaw it before serving but that's personal preference only.

Oscarmon wrote:
....Oranges. When you said Clementine oranges, I don't mean any offense, but is that canned? i don't think the syrup with it would be good... But I'm not the expert with the whole fruit thing. That's why I'm here

My apologies for the lack of clarity. Clementine oranges....they may not even be called that - it's what my mother called them. They are the small, 1/4 - 1/2 sized oranges, that are easier to peel than traditional baseball sized oranges. I think I've seen "Halos" on the bag from the grocery store. They definitely aren't canned. I agree with you in that I'm not sure canned, syrupy fruit would be optimal.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 1 day ago #72099

• Oscarmon
That's a relief :lol:

It's good to know that I can give something I already have for a change.

So if I thaw out some frozen mangoes I'm good to go :)

Would it be reasonable to soak the mangoes in Vitachem? If I purchase Vitachem I figured that I might as well use it often as possible... Right?

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 1 day ago #72102

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
Fresh fruit is full of natural vitamins, no need for syntetical ones.
My Oscars where pigs and ate a very big List of several things.

Strawberrys
Blueberrys
Grapes
Mandarins /clementins
Banana
Red watermelon
Young green Peas
Gammarus
Krill
Clam and mussle meat
Squid
Octopus
Tilapia Filet
Smelts whole
Crickets
Nightcrawlers
Frozen Artemia blocks

That was a list i used on mine beides syntetical fish food.
For fruit it seems they prefer soft and squishy stuff without taff skin.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 13 hours ago #72104

• Oscarmon
Sounds like you're Oscars are living the life :P

I guess I'll try some of those. I have watermelon, grapes, frozen blueberries and I can get ahold of strawberries easily :)
Curious, how do you prepare grapes for an Oscar? Mine isn't big enough to eat one whole... Yet. Should I peel them?

Also, I tried some mango yesterday and he didn't take...
He'd eat it, spit it out, eat it again, spit it out, then just let it float around the tank. Should I try a few more times or leave it because there are other foods I can try feeding him?

I find it interesting how people feed their dogs and cats the same food every day (along with table scraps once and awhile) and we give the "little fishes" 5-20x the variety
as them :confused:

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 11 hours ago #72105

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Oscarmon wrote:
...Also, I tried some mango yesterday and he didn't take...
He'd eat it, spit it out, eat it again, spit it out, then just let it float around the tank. Should I try a few more times or leave it because there are other foods I can try feeding him?...

Yeah....Oscars can be quite stubborn. If there's something you want him to learn to eat, you're going to have to wait them out. Keep offering it once / day....they'll eventually take it - they won't starve themselves. You'll just have to decide how important it is to you that they eat a particular food. Some folks say it can take a couple weeks for the Oscar to relent.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 6 hours ago #72106

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
I just bite them in half. They left the skin but destroy the inside.
Also Oscars are very different in there personal tastes. One was going nuts for peas while the other one only collected them because of greed but while he don't like peas he spit them out after some time.
The very same fish at the other hand likes banana but it needs to be in fingernail size bite size. His mate don't care about banana at all.
For example i also tried little tomatos and cucumber but both never liked it.
So it's a try game. Your Oscar is still small and his metabolism will change after some time.
You can feed him a little less as an adult fish what keeps them more hungry and they will accept a wide spectrum of food.

I also forgot about Oscars favorit live food. Oscars love snails. If you have a second tank that you consider as clean and you have bladder or ramshorn snails go for it.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds