Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 6 days ago #72073

• Oscarmon
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
I was wondering whether I could breed guppies for my O. Would their fins cause and digestive problems? I already feed him NorthFin Cichlid pellets, NorthFin veggie pellets, Hikari Cichlid Staple, Omega One Freeze Dried Bloodworms, and finally, Peas.

Although these are all good for him, I don't think any of these foods bring out his 'Predator Instinct' like the feeders did.

I don't know if this will help, but the store I bought him at had been feeding him bloodworms, hikari pellets, and what they called "toughies" (Tiny goldfish).
I knew these were bad for him because they weren't healthy, and after I got him I slowly gave him less and less of them. Now, a couple months later he has been attacking my zebra snails and is constantly bored along with some slight sign of fin-rot. I'll watch the fin problem, but am considering breeding some guppies for him.

What do you think? Will this be worth it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 5 days ago #72075

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
No, feeder fish are a bad thing. You can kill him by cross contamination by inteoducing bacteria from another tank/fish.
It's not worth the work. A Guppy needs around 3 to 4 months of good care till he would be in a relevant feeder size. If you plan on an 65 with only Guppys and Ancistrus and you feed him the bad ones than ir would make sense as a use ans purpose but only breeding for feeding is a waste of resources from water, electricity and time. Compared price to oz of food it's like you feed your Oscar Kobe beef.

Another point is Oscars are not predator fish hunters, they are to slow and clumsy and they have not the mouth or body shape like an parachromis, Crenicichla or Cichla cichlid. They are by nature insect and moluscus eaters. They go for insects that falled into the water, water insects, shrimps, crayfish, snails and maybe just maybe for time to time small and slow small fish.
If you like live food than go for nightcrawlers, crickets maybe desert locutus, moths, Gammarus, sand and ghost shrimp.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 5 days ago #72076

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
Optimal nutrition is the goal, and guppies just dont offer it to Oscar. Of your current diet, I would eliminate the Hikari Staple, its the low end of the Hikari line. Skip the peas, again limited nutrition, only serve a s a sort of laxitive, and the NF veg pellets serve as the digestion aid. Blood worm is so-so, you could replace that with krill. Krill is high protein but also high fiber. The live foods toom mentioned are good. You can also chop up some raw fish, Tilapia works well, as well as shrimp if you are able to bear the price,lol. Try some fruit, apple, banana, mango, pears , orange. Extra VitC is a HUGE bonus for Oscars. Try a piece of green pepper, it has more VitC per unit weight than an orange. For a real picky eater, Boyd's Vitachem is a liquid vitamin boost that can be absorbed into almost any offering. Few drops a couple times a week. I use it religiously, have been for many yrs. It works very well
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 5 days ago #72077

• Oscarmon
Thanks guys! Do any of you use a certain kind of krill? I'm not sure which brand to choose.

As for ghost shrimp, would they be worth breeding? The only reason I'm sticking to the whole breeding thing is because the only local pet stores don't have very healthy stock. PetSmart and Petco are a 45 minute drive away and I don't want to drive there and back all the time.

Oranges and bananas though... I have them. How would I feed him that? Certain type? Seeds? Would I have to wash them a certain way?

The only reason I give him peas is as the laxative a day before water changes. This way he doesn't dirty the tank instantly after the water change.
Also, I think on Monster Fish Keepers, a moderator stated that peas were high in vitamin C and would be good for them. Is this true?

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 5 days ago #72078

• Oscarmon
Just checked out amazon. www.amazon.com/Food-carnivore-tropical-c...erhorn/dp/B01I73ZX94

And www.amazon.com/Monster-Fish-Medley-Aqueo...F0KXHF8NQZEACR20XZ2D

Is this the kind of stuff you're talking about?

Please check the questions from the post before this. Thanks!

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 5 days ago #72080

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
I use Omega1 freeze dried krill. The product link on Amazon is very likely the same stuff. Bit of a heads up though. When trying to save a couple bucks buying bulk, you get slightly burned, because as much as the last 20% of the container becomes powder by the time you get down that far. The other medley bag is unnecessary imo, as the Northfin cichlid formula you currently use is as good as there is on the market. Vitamin C in peas is probably correct, any green veg has VitC content, far as I know. To offer fruit, just toss a piece in, no need to prep. If the fish takes it, great. I have best luck with mango, but that is still very hit and miss with my cichlids. More miss actually. That's where the Vitachem comes in handy. I have nothing to offer as far as shrimp raising, I don't feed live aquatics of any kind to my fish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 4 days ago #72083

• Oscarmon
Thanks. I should have guessed Omega One since I already have their bloodworms :lol:

Should these be pre-soaked like the bloodworms or no?

What version/type of Vitachem do you use? Can I soak with the bloodworms and krill?

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 3 days ago #72084

• Peter
  • Thank you received: 1
I use this

www.amazon.com/Tetra-RiverShrimp-Freshwa...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

and they WUV it :) I also use Dried Meal Worms and Floating Sticks and they eat it up.

I use to use feeders, and I can tell you by experience don't do it, mine got so sick I almost lost them, it was a nightmare :(.
120g x2 Oscars x2 blood parrots / x2 SunSun Hw 304B
55g Goldfishies / AquaTech 30-60 , Topfin 75 (HoBs) , Eheim 2213
40g Small planted community / Marineland Penguin 350

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 3 days ago #72086

• Oscarmon
Yes, the tank I got mine from had multiple fishes with fin rot etc.

Do you use the Vitachem?

Just wondering how to use it and whether it's worth it...

Once again I'm asking those who are on whether breeding ghost shrimp are worth it. Any answers from people with experience with kind of experience will be greatly appreiciated :)

Feeder Fish 3 weeks 3 days ago #72090

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
Do any of you use a certain kind of krill? I'm not sure which brand to choose....

I bought a bag of freeze dried krill from www.yourfishstuff.com/freeze-dried-krill They've changed the bag's packaging but the krill is big with the integrity of the krill still in tact.

A trick someone on here taught me about feeding FD drill is to put the krill in a plastic spoon and soak it in Vitachem....it works great.

My Oscar is 11-12". I feed him clementine oranges...two slices. At first he didn't take them. Eventually he learned to take them and does well with them. I also feed him raspberries and blueberries. They have a lot of good antioxidant qualities for humans. I couldn't find anything bad about them for fish so I went with it. He's been eating them for ~1 year now...no issues.

I've fed him bananas a couple times but they seem to go right through him. I once read that fish can't digest bananas. My Oscar will process a meal into feces in 36-48 hours. He turns bananas into feces in under 12. As a result I stay away from bananas with mine. Regarding my implication that they can't digest bananas...I'm not sure if what I read is true - I have a single piece of antidotal evidence to say it is. That said, some food tears right through me whereas it is processed just fine by others - I suspect fish are similar.

As Northstar suggested, I also feed tilapia and shrimp from the supermarket - I marinate the pieces in Vitachem for 48 hours prior to feeding (stored in refrigerator while marinating). I also feed a custom gel cube that is primarily plant based.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds