Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fat/Oil content in fish foods

Fat/Oil content in fish foods 3 weeks 16 hours ago #71169

• InvCichlid
  • Poecilia reticulata
New member here, and first time posting. I love this group for info on fish foods. Thanks all!

One question I've not been able to find too much information on is recommendations on the fat/oil contents of commercial foods. In reviewing fish food labels, we generally see a fat/oil content of around the 5 - 8% level in most of the well known brands. Occasionally I come across a product with levels around 10%, or even as high as 15%. Interested to know of any recommendations on what we should be looking for, and how those recommendations might vary from juvis, to breeders, to adult display fish, and even fresh to marine fish.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fat/Oil content in fish foods 3 weeks 5 hours ago #71170

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 904
The general consensus is that up to 15% lipid content is acceptable. I don't agree with the "general consensus". Personally, I prefer foods much lower in fat content and look for a food with "crude fat" in the 5% ratio. Fatty liver disease is very real with the primary cause being excess fat in the diet. The issue, as with many things involving fish feed, is that studies associated with fish feed are almost exclusively conducted for the fish industry, i.e. folks with fish farms growing fish to be used for human consumption. Their goal is to pack on as much weight in as short a time as possible. It has nothing to do with long term health, which is our primary concern.

I would attempt to keep the fat content low regardless of fish age , species, or water type. What needs to be adjusted based upon these factors is protein content. Younger fish should have a higher protein diet. Older fish should not have as much protein. Some species need a higher protein diet than others.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InvCichlid

Fat/Oil content in fish foods 3 weeks 4 hours ago #71171

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 413
Is this not more an sub/tropical fish rule of thumb while cold water fish food is mostly very high on fat?

I remember especially sturgeon food that was very oily. Also cold water predators from Wels, pike, zander, pearch, eel that eat mostly white fish and keep over Winter a fat layer also should be ok with an higher fat content if they stay outside.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds