Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Home made food questions

Home made food questions 1 month 2 weeks ago #70052

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
So im planing on buying a bunch of fresh fish and other ingredients running through a blender then putting it on ice cube trays to for my guys that are getting big now…

So my local publics has whole mullet for 1.99 per pound i was wondering if it is ok to use for the oscars or do you guys have a better recommendation..
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Home made food questions 1 month 2 weeks ago #70054

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 103
Thiaminase is a chemical found in many fish that is not good for Oscars. Some types of mullets contain thiaminase and others don't. Since it's unlikely for you to know which type of mullet you'll be buying, I'd steer clear of buying it - there are too many other viable options at a reasonable cost.

I feed my Oscar cooked cocktail shrimp. I know other very knowledgeable Oscar keepers who feed theirs tilapia and cod...although mine won't eat either. Mine eats EVERYTHING I've ever fed it except tilapia and cod....go figure!!

You can read more about the ill effects of thiaminase on Oscars here.

A list of fish that contain thiaminase can be found here.

What binding agent are you going to use for your homemade food? I use agar with good success. I prefer agar to gelatin since the agar is algae based whereas gelatin is made from terrestrial animals....which isn't optimal nutrition for Oscars.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds