Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 1 week 1 day ago #69630

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 891
NLS has made a recent significant announcement about use of preservatives:

nlsfishfood.com/nls-and-preservatives/
A new controversy over ethoxyquin preservative in tropical fish food has been brought to our attention, and we’ve been asked about where New Life Spectrum stands in the matter — both our perspective on the subject and in regards to our product. We thought it would be a good time to let everyone in on some things we’re working on behind the scenes:

This fall, we’re launching our next generation of the Spectrum Nutrition Formula. Our distributors have already been informed and are readying their shelves for September! Along with improvements, including using high-protein squid and ginger to boost resistance to parasites, the new formula will use only Naturox-preserved ingredients. We’ve been working on this with suppliers behind closed doors for a while — and all the needed ingredients are finally available using this natural, alternative antioxidant.

Occasionally, New Life Spectrum® is asked to provide statements stating we’re “ethoxyquin-free”. We never have. We refused to provide a marketing-convenient answer that didn’t match reality. While we don’t add ethoxyquin to our formula, available ingredients have used this common, FDA allowed antioxidant. In the upcoming formula, for clarity and to address any concerns, we will indicate Naturox along with the ingredients.

In this online uproar, we noticed certain revelations have ignited speculation that most tropical fish diets may contain far beyond 150ppm (or even 300ppm) of the controversial preservative. In the interest of transparency, we’ve sent samples of our current formula to accredited labs and will be posting the original reports on our site. We don’t now claim to be “ethoxyquin-free,” but we’re confident the results will be well under these figures. Once our new Naturox preserved New Life Spectrum formulas are released, we will test and release ethoxyquin level reports online for those as well.

With all that said: despite discontinuing ethoxyquin in favor of Naturox, it’s still our position that Ethoxyquin, used in FDA approved amounts of 150ppm (or better yet under 100ppm), has never been shown to cause health problems in pet fish. The fact is, there are no documented cases where ethoxyquin at these levels has been found to cause any long term negative health problems in fish (or even dogs and cats). This concern was sparked by a 1987 study that suggested a carcinogenic potential in rats dosed with 5,000 ppm of ethoxyquin. The FDA has ruled that the additive “may be safely used in animal feeds.” In consideration of lactating dogs who may nurse, dog food companies do voluntarily limit ethoxyquin concentrations to 75ppm.

Our move toward Naturox is based on a desire to respond to the concerns of hobbyists, allowing people to feed highly nutritious New Life Spectrum without worry. Yet we won’t market Spectrum as “ethoxyquin free” despite this. Ingredients we will source are preserved with Naturox, but realistically they’re stored and produced by suppliers that do provide the more standard ethoxyquin-preserved ingredients. Thus, our goal is for the preservative to be zero, but if present to only be in trace amounts of about 5ppm or less. New Life Spectrum® is committed that the promises we make are conservative — and when bold, as with our Spectrum Guarantee (www.nlsfishfood.com/guarantee), 100% supportable. Therefore, we will only claim that we are sourcing ingredients certified as having no ethoxyquin by suppliers we trust. We will also test our raw ingredients when received to ensure our suppliers are meeting this standard.

Sincerely,
Ian Tepot, President
New Life International

While I had to notify Mr. Tepot that I continue to disagree with the statements of "’it's still our position that Ethoxyquin, used in FDA approved amounts of 150ppm (or better yet under 100ppm), has never been shown to cause health problems in pet fish. The fact is, there are no documented cases where ethoxyquin at these levels has been found to cause any long term negative health problems in fish (or even dogs and cats)", it becomes an irreverent discussion when the company takes the steps being advertised by NLS.

The actions they are taking to ensure their final products contain low levels of Ehtoxyquin are the exact direction we've wanted someone in the industry to step up to the plate and adopt. The fact it is NLS taking these steps just further demonstrates they are the leader in this industry. Further more, give yourselves some credit, it shows that the power of the consumer is paramount. If there is a demand, industry will fulfill it, although not every company is willing to change the status quo. NLS deserves further credit doing so, which shows they are in tune with their consumer.

I look forward to the new formula reaching the shelves. :mrgreen:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarshyMellowFluff, AquaNut, beretta96

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 1 week 1 day ago #69634

• beretta96
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 92
I also applaud their taking the issue head on. In the fight for my minimal fish food dollars, all quality related ties will go to NLS for doing so.

Although the "fox guarding the henhouse" argument is still valid, I do think it's good that NLS is having their new formula tested for ethoxyquin and will post the results.

I hope NLS' actions on the matter are being performed in good faith unlike Northfin's approach to marketing - assuming the Barrow-Agee & Midwest Laboratories reports circulating the Internet are legitimate. If those lab reports aren't legitimate then Northfin has been terribly maligned.

I hope NLS' new formula doesn't contain synthetic Vitamin K....

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 6 days 10 hours ago #69681

• kmuda
  • Admin
Naive me........ I was thinking this was the power of the consumer changing market forces when it more than likely has to do with the over reaching arms of governments.

The EU has apparently removed authorization of further use of Ethoxyquin in animal feeds, declaring their is no evidence of it's safety in animal feed. Safety as in...... up the chain via the feed, to the animals, to us.

www.feednavigator.com/Regulation/What-is...ethoxyquin-in-the-EU

The EU's conclusion....
......there was a lack of data to fully assess the safety of the substance, including its metabolites, and the presence of an impurity, p-phenetidine, which is a possible mutagen [substances causing mutations in the genetic material of both animals and humans].

The Parma-based EU risk assessor determined that, as a result of the manufacturing process, p-phenetidine remains in the feed additive.

Feed manufacturers are preparing for an Ethoxyquin ban in animal feeds. I believe a temporary ban is already being implemented.

The entirety of the most recent EFSA onion ca be found here:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2015.4272/abstract
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarshyMellowFluff, AquaNut, beretta96

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 6 days 9 hours ago #69684

• AquaNut
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
hmm very interesting post-Kmuda, thanks for sharing. We are also looking forward to see what they come out with. FYI our video should be out on Monday so we will be sure to post it up in here. Thanks again for all of your help.
Aqua Nut on YouTube

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 5 days 7 hours ago #69716

• New Life Spectrum
  • Poecilia reticulata
kmuda wrote:
Naive me........ I was thinking this was the power of the consumer changing market forces when it more than likely has to do with the over reaching arms of governments.

The EU has apparently removed authorization of further use of Ethoxyquin in animal feeds, declaring their is no evidence of it's safety in animal feed. Safety as in...... up the chain via the feed, to the animals, to us.

The EU's conclusion....
......there was a lack of data to fully assess the safety of the substance, including its metabolites, and the presence of an impurity, p-phenetidine, which is a possible mutagen [substances causing mutations in the genetic material of both animals and humans].

The Parma-based EU risk assessor determined that, as a result of the manufacturing process, p-phenetidine remains in the feed additive.
Feed manufacturers are preparing for an Ethoxyquin ban in animal feeds. I believe a temporary ban is already being implemented.

Hi, Kmuda:

As we recently registered to reach out to you on this matter, and this topic is specifically addressing our product, I thought it would be appropriate to comment on this.

Regarding the causes for this changeover: you are right in both directions. It is both consumer demand and potential regulation by the EU -- which is quite aggressive in regulation and generally will take the stance that by default materials should be assumed hazardous until proven otherwise. We have known about the potential new restrictions on ethoxyquin in the EU for animal feeds for about a year -- although whether this would apply to pet fish not in the human food chain is unclear as of yet. However, we have a separate production chain for the EU and thus could theoretically continue the use of the preservative outside the union -- although this is of course not what we are doing.

Frankly, aside from any regulation we have also been aware that eliminating this preservative would be a net plus for us with consumers, whether or not we internally agree with the conclusions of enthusiasts. We're always interested in reducing any potential source of hesitation hobbyists might have when feeding their aquarium companions the best possible diet (which we know to be NLS).

Thus, we have been working on this project for a while, and the new formulas (and related packaging) were already in the works, but the recent controversy was mainly the impetus to announce the changes.

Another way the potential EU regulations have moved this forward is that suppliers of ingredients -- many of whom provide materials for both animal feed and the human food chain in addition to us -- have been spurred to make strides in making Naturox preserved ingredients more readily available. This has eliminated some hurdles for us in getting the 'stuff' we need within the last year or so.

I hope this helps provide a bit of context on the internal considerations that went in to this decision!

Regards,
Ian M. Tepoot
President
New Life International
Home of New LIfe Spectrum
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 4 days 14 hours ago #69726

• kmuda
  • Admin
Thanks very much for the response and please forgive any perceived disdain that may have been taken from my prior post. It was not intended towards NLS, rather a disappointment of government involvement. For philosophical reasons, I do not condone the arms of government taking these steps, rather the power of the consumer should drive these factors.

That said, NLS could have taken the BHT/BHA road but instead have taken the mixed tocopherols road. For that, as I initially stated, they should be congratulated and supported. Hopefully, more of the industry will follow suite.

NEW LIFE SPECTRUM & PRESERVATIVES 4 days 9 hours ago #69730

• New Life Spectrum
  • Poecilia reticulata
kmuda wrote:
Thanks very much for the response and please forgive any perceived disdain that may have been taken from my prior post. It was not intended towards NLS, rather a disappointment of government involvement. For philosophical reasons, I do not condone the arms of government taking these steps, rather the power of the consumer should drive these factors.

That said, NLS could have taken the BHT/BHA road but instead have taken the mixed tocopherols road. For that, as I initially stated, they should be congratulated and supported. Hopefully, more of the industry will follow suite.

Hey, Kmuda:

No, your perspective on that came through in the post and I didn't think you came off with disdain. I just figured it made sense to provide some context on what, internally, went into the decision. Also, to make sure that you and other hobbyists don't underestimate role of the consumer demand when it comes to this.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds