Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Eheim 2217 Filter Cleaning

Eheim 2217 Filter Cleaning 2 weeks 3 days ago #72306

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
This post is mostly about sharing / commiserating with other like-minded fish people. Monday I spent ~4-5 man hours cleaning one of the 2217's filtering my 125g Oscar tank. Man, the limescale build up was absolutely TERRIBLE!! Looking back at my notes, I'd not cleaned that filter for ~10 months....note to self, don't let it go that long again.

It still had good output flow/pressure prior to cleaning but it seems like new now. The media bag felt like it was a block of concrete when pulling it out of the filter due to the limescale binding all of the substrat pro balls together.

I soaked everything other than the substrat pro and the sponge in distilled white vinegar for ~8-10 hours. It was over an hour before I could get the impeller shaft to come out of the impeller!! I used a shotgun bore snake to clean out all the tubing and output tube. Like I said, now it runs like new but man, it was a mess. As wedged in as the media bag was inside the canister, I was really surprised it was getting any flow at all let alone something that someone could say was "pretty good".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eheim 2217 Filter Cleaning 2 weeks 3 days ago #72308

• ohern4ever
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
Classic Eheim canisters are absolute tanks. I'm amazed that the sponge or whatever your mechanical filtration is was not completely clogged to the point it was not permeable ( I wonder if that's even possible). I never enjoyed cleaning my canister filters, which is a big reason why with this new tank I am going to try the set-dry route with the Sterlite drawers. I am hoping to just use filter padding and once a week just open the drawer and replace the pad.

After all that, the big question is, how long do you think it will be before you clean it again? I guess if you are feeding lightly it would not need it all that often. Its crazy your lime scale was so bad. I would not have thought it was possible to get that being that water is constantly flowing.

Eheim 2217 Filter Cleaning 2 weeks 7 hours ago #72309

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
ohern4ever wrote:
...After all that, the big question is, how long do you think it will be before you clean it again?...

Yeah...I'm going to give it a looksee at 3 months. I think whenever I can no longer remove the ceramic impeller shaft out of the impeller as a guideline for when a cleaning is needed.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds