Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Switching water conditioners, need help

Switching water conditioners, need help 4 months 3 weeks ago #72220

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everyone,
I have been using API tap water conditioner (goo.gl/Fq4Aof) for some time now and I am planning on switching to Seachem Prime or Safe. I read that Safe gives you more bang for you buck but it seems everyone on the forum uses prime. Also the directions on prime state to use 1 capful per 50 gallons but after some research, I found that this is for 4 mg/L Chloramine or 5 mg/L Chlorine. How do you check the amount in your cities water supply? My city's water report (www.cityofsierramadre.com/UserFiles/Serv...Quality%20Report.pdf) doesn't mention anything about Chloramines and lists the average Chlorine Residual of .87 ppm with a range from .41 ppm to 1.62 ppm. Assuming that I have the max amount, doesn't that still mean I can get by with a much smaller dose of prime than the directions given? However on the City's website they state all water is treated using chlorine disinfection OR Chloramine disinfection so they might be using Chloramines after all.

Thanks,
Aquamoo

Sources:
www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/thread...conditioners.309623/
www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/thread...afe-vs-prime.599915/
www.cityofsierramadre.com/services/water/water_source_quality/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Switching water conditioners, need help 4 months 3 weeks ago #72222

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
Be safe and switch to Safe. The monetary savings alone are very much worth it. 1/4 tsp will treat 300gals of water. I use a lot of water , over a thousand gals a week.. My city chlorine is low, around 1ppm or less. A kilo of Safe, at 40 bucks lasts me a year, maybe 16 months. I dont measure 1/8 tsp for 125-180g tanks, I just eyeball it. Same as Prime, overdosing is no harm, within reason.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds