Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: External or Internal?

External or Internal? 1 month 1 day ago #72144

• Oscarmon
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
Do any of you have sumps/trickle filters/wet-dry systems in your Oscar tanks? I've been designing a 6x3x3ft tank with a 4x2x2ft sump with build in trickle tower and was wondering if there was an internal pump strong enough to meet my standards.

What the pump needs: 2,000+ gph (I want high turnover). 6ft+ head height, controllable, and the ability to attach to pvc pipe.

I've looked at the following pumps already: MagDrive, Danner, Sicce, Tunze, Abyzz, Ecotech Vortech, Eheim, Reef octopus, and Current U.S Satellite.

Some of these are meant for marine aquariums and include extra things I don't need like the pulsing/wave randomizer. Others don't seem strong enough.

Should I go with an external pump?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

External or Internal? 1 month 1 day ago #72147

• Aquamoo
  • Thank you received: 2
I found a 90 gallon aquarium on the side of the road that came with a overflow and sump, it was originally used for a reef tank (salt creep everywhere, protein skimmer, and a reef light) but I converted it to freshwater. I personally love using the sump for a variety of reasons. One is that you can still have HOB filters, heaters, etc without them cluttering up the tank (although if your pump stopped working your tank would go to hell pretty fast). The pump that came with it is an internal pump (I don't know what kind) but just recently I had a problem with it. The pump was to strong for the 1 inch hole inside the overflow box so there would be a very loud noise every 10-15 seconds due to the water level going over the hole and then beneath it so a suction force would be created (imagine the sound of a wavemaker/ powerhead when you have it to close to the top of the tank and air goes into it). The problem went away on it's own before I figured out a solution but it was because the pumps intake sponge was filled with waste and crap. I only found this out after doing a water change and noticing that the output nozzle were shooting out way less water than normal. I fixed the problem by cleaning the pumps intake sponge (duh) and putting a layer of aquarium prefilter over the draining hole in the overflow box. Sorry I didn't answer the question about which pump to use but I thought that you might want to keep this in mind when deciding on it.

- Aquamoo

External or Internal? 1 month 9 hours ago #72152

• Oscarmon
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks for you info :)

External or Internal? 3 weeks 2 days ago #72177

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
I see some Pondmaster Hy-Drive pumps that can spit out over 2000GPH at 7 feet. They are pretty pricy. I am not sure if they are controllable in the way you are looking for.

They are on the Danner web site. I haven't used them. I have used Mag Drives for a long time, both the aquarium and the pond versions.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds