Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 4 weeks ago #71984

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello everyone! I have recently been looking at two different filter options and was wondering about what you all would think about them.

So which would you choose?

If this helps here is my current setup: 52 gallon bowfront with Marineland canister (not magnum) and whisper internal filter, Current USA water movement pump, airstone, 2 small ornaments, and a sand substrate.

I am planning to replace the internal filter because it's too weak for this tank and was wondering whether trying to get a hold of a Magnum 350 was worth it.
Also if you have any other opinions on good replacement filters feel free to let me know. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71986

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Options are virtually limitless for a small tank. The Fluval FX series is likely overkill, although the newer FX4 is 1/3 smaller than the 5-6 models. I have no experience with Magnum filters, but I do own many Filstar canisters. Never a problem with any. The oldest is 2002, runs as well as it did day1.Filstar XPL, a 3 tray unit, woukd service the tank very well. Being that you already have a canister, I would add an Aquaclear 110 hob. Powerful and reliable. quiet as hob's go, it will give excellent mechanical filtering, and decent bio assistance if set up properly.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71988

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks for the insight. I've considered hobs but the way the tank is set up won't easily allow one. It would push downward on the sideways current and most likely stress the fish. This may sound odd, but it's hard to explain...

Would anyone know if there is a flow control on the Fx series? The only reason I'm persistent with them is because in the future I plan on upgrading to a much larger tank.
(200+ gallons). Plus my current tank definitely could use more circulation and capacity for the amount of nitrates produce by the fish.

Same with the Marineland Magnum 350, they seem to be discontinued and appreciate some info on them as well.

1. Is the flow worth it?

2. What are the dimensions?

3. WHERE CAN I GET ONE (other than Ebay/ Craigslist)

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71989

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
There are ball valves on the FX6 but with the right placement and an DIY Outlet pipe to make the water Jet a bit softer it should be possible to mount it on a smaller tank.
You also could put an Y Conector on the Out hose and put it on an Reactor or resin filter.

If you plan on getting an 180+ in the Future it makes sense to buy big one time and being good on filtrarion while upgrading
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarmon

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71990

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
[quoteThere are ball valves on the FX6 ][/quote]

Are there any on the Fx4? I just noticed the Fx6 won't fit with my current setup.
Do you know anywhere where I can get one cheaper than Amazon?

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71991

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
Oscarmon wrote:
[quoteThere are ball valves on the FX6 ]
Oscarmon wrote:
Are there any on the Fx4? I just noticed the Fx6 won't fit with my current setup.
Do you know anywhere where I can get one cheaper than Amazon?

The “stop valve” is the same on the FX series 4, 5, 6. Some debate as to wether you can use them for flow control. You might want to go to fluval and read the PDF instructions.

You might want to sign up for emails at www.drsfostersmith.com/
The price is likely fixed but sometimes the website will have a spend so much and get a gift card for future purchase. Only downfall is that they charge tax since they are owned by Petco.
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71992

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks! I'll check it out. Do you know the tubing size? I may change.the return outlet.

One more question for now, what does the plug in look like? Is it normal, long, or circular. Sorry, this may be hard to understand. Could you post a picture of where it's plugged in? I just want to know if this will fit into a fairly cramped powerbar.

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71993

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
You can easily glue up pvc pipe from the hardware store and make different return outlets including spray bars. Ive done this in the past and used 3/4 pvc with this tubing www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_disp...090+8005&pcatid=8005

I didnt want white pvc so I special ordered black here:
flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p=Barb-Adapte...0&xm=on&ppinc=detail
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71994

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
The one i own had an flat plug but I am from germany and we have only two Pin plugs and 230 Volt System. So very different from the american ones with 3 Pins.

You can use the Ball valve for flow control but make sure you brake the filter on the Out side, never reduce flow on the In connections because this could damage the pump.

"My personal option"

The FX5/6 is a mechanical powerhouse. It's basicly a pond filter and he is good in what he does.
There is not much else in this real life flow region and size in the hobby. Maybe the 2260 series or the 2080 from Eheim but as an mech filter for big cichlids the FX is one of the Best avaible.
There are also some Cons to the pros. FX6 is a pain to clean by it's construction. You have to put it apart and need to clean 6 separate sponges and a bottom and top sponge for the inner circle filtration.
Made replacements by cutting my own sponges for a faster maintaining while i could clean the sponges later.
Also the FX6 while still being massive don't hold much media. Only about 5 Liters. What should be enough for a heavy maintained and filtered big tank but is far from being optimal.

Like said the biggest pro is the mech filtration, the FX4 at the other hand is in the region of the more classical filters with several trays over each other and with more media to hold. Also more easy to clean where you just need to clean the up per tray and don't need a full clean out any couple of weeks.

So if not FX6 for massive mech filtration than I would go with an different filter.

If you go to an 220 later i also would consider internal 3 chamber filter what may cost you 15 Gallons what would be as big as 2 FX6 with the Power consumtion of 7 to 12 Watts compared to the 42 Watts of an FX6 with the same or more flow or going for a sump. An open filter System is so much more easy to work with as with canisters.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 5 months 3 weeks ago #71995

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
the FX has a 2 pronged, flat plug. It fits easily on multi outlet powerbars. I dont recommend using the ball valves to control flow. To me this just puts more strain on the motor, and you arent getting full benefit of the filter. FX4 has a much weaker flow than the 6. Where the 6 outflow will blast right across the tank, the 4 wont. It has a 2 outlet outflow, each swivels on its own, so you can direct each line of water in a different direction. FX4 will hold 6lbs of media, 3lb per basket. Pass on using the extra tray sponges, let the 4 wrap around sponges do the mechanical work.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarmon
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds