Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Eheim 2215 Setup

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 4 weeks ago #71741

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
I have a bunch of the Eheim 221x series. I've found that if they canister isn't completely full (eg. water is spilling out of it when you put the top/motor on, it has no chance of spraying water out of the spray bar. I've also learned that sometimes empty tubing can negatively affect the motor's ability to getting the water flowing optimally.

You've confirmed the intake and output are connected properly. You've confirmed the shutoff valves are fully opened. The way you describe the sound while running it seems the motor is working properly. There are only a three things left that I can think of right now....
1. The canister and tubing is full of water - minimizing the amount of air therein.
2. The impeller is seated and running properly. The way you describe the sound doesn't lead me to believe this is the problem.
3. There are no obstructions in the system. If everything else I've mentioned is working correctly, I'd remove EVERYTHING out of the canister and see if the motor can cycle water.

Keep us posted!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71749

• jon113069
  • Poecilia reticulata
So... I had time to mess with this on my day off yesterday. I disconnected everything and gutted the canister. Redid it all. After watching like 15 minutes of setup videos. The inside is exactly as it should be. SPRAY BAR is top hose. Aquarium intake is bottom. I checked the hosing in the back and the aquarium intake hose was pinched pretty tight in one spot. (yes I feel like a moron I can't believe I didn't see this) There was also a significant amount of extra hosing. I cut everything snug but not TOO tight. No pinches in the line. Gave the spray bar end a good suck and water came to the top then stopped where the U is right before it comes over and into the tank.

Started the canister up and it started instantly. We're up and running perfectly.

Temp is good, filter is going, have a bran new test kit for testing during cycle. Piece of raw shrimp sitting in there to start the cycle. So in a few weeks I guess I'll be good to add a fishy pet. :woohoo:

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71750

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
Awesome man, glad you got it up. Whats going in this clean slate?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71751

• jon113069
  • Poecilia reticulata
I can already hear the shuns coming. :P

I wanted to do a larger single fish that'll fill the tank nicely. Something personable since it's in the living room. Like a single show fish if you will. Was thinking just a single O. I know its only a 55 but I'm pretty anal about my water perimeters so that won't be an issue. If I had it my way I'd go invest in something much bigger than even the 125s n stuff I had going back in the day but the new place I purchased is a trailer and I'd have to reinforce the heck out of the flooring to trust anything over 55.

So I'm thinking a single Oscar. I thought maybe a Flowerhorn or something flashy, but they're pretty expensive and some of those suckers can get larger than Oscar. Open to any suggestions though. Price isn't a major role. I wouldn't mind having to ship something and wouldn't mind spending upwards to 100-120$ if I saw something I really liked. Keeping in mind I don't really enjoy community setups. Have a couple weeks to make my final decision while this cycles.

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71753

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Its not a water quality issue of Oscar in a 55. Its the size of the fish. Any decent Oscar can grow to a length that is more than the width of the tank. A big Oscar is cramped in any 4ft tank, even a 4x2x2 120g.Many fish that stay well under 10ins that would fare well in a 55g. Look at a female Festae. Looks and coloration that rival many salt water fish. Salvini, Nicaraguans, quality Jack Dempsey. Green Terrors, any Acaras. Tons of options for a showpiece fish that wont suffer from stress related space restrictions.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71754

• jon113069
  • Poecilia reticulata
I've had JD before. Not my idea of a single show fish. The one that interest me out of all that you listed is that Festae. That guy looks pretty sick. If I could find a distributor around Merritt Island FL I'd consider one of them. I'll make some calls. Don't see any on aquabid and I haven't kept fish in a while so not sure if there are any other good sources online that ship. Any suggestions?

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71755

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 444
Jeff Rapps has ATM Pyro Trimaculatus fry from Aquamojo. We try right now to get some into europe.
This trimaculatus line breed looks far better than ugly Flowerhorns.

At the other hand a 55 would be a nice tank for a supreme Discus pair ;)
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71756

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Rapps has some festae, and so does (www.wetspottropicalfish.com). Rapps are F1, wetspot Wild.

You won't be able to keep a male though, FYI. They hit 16 inches. Females top out around 12 I believe.

What about a carpintis? wetspot also has H. carpintis "Escondido". They hit 10-11 inches, are show quality fish, have personality (not like an Oscar IMO, but they aren't goldfish either), and would be much more suitable in a 55 than an Oscar.

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71757

• jon113069
  • Poecilia reticulata
Carpintis looks pretty cool actually. But I like that Red Terror more! Right now I'm in contact with these fellas who are only an hour away from me.

cichlidexpress.com/

They already emailed me back and said they have female festae ready to pickup. 10.00$ I believe it says. O_O

Eheim 2215 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #71762

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Ask for a picture. You can't sex festae until they are 4-5 inches and even then it can be wishy washy.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds