Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rena filter issues

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70169

• LovesLC
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
I love my Rena Filstar XP3. So much that I got the XP4 for my larger tank.
The XP3 was running great. Quiet as a mouse. No issues. A couple of days ago I unplugged it to add some media and rinse the media that was in there. And ever since I can't get it to work.
It now leaks where the top connects to the canister and it will surge water through the output and then struggle and chug to get more water up the hose. When it does finally fill the hose with water it rushes through and at that time leaks through the seam where top meets bottom. So surge-leak/chug/surge-leak/chug/surge-leak/chug...
I watched some YouTube videos and followed their instructions. Checked the o-rings on the connectors and the rubber seal around the top and in the circle part on the bottom of the top piece. Reseated the media baskets a few times.
I can't help but think I just put something back wrong since it had no problems at all before I took out everything to rinse and it was just humming along..
Is there anything else I can try?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70170

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Sounds like the top is not being seated correctly. Do you have a spare O ring? are you using a lubricant on the O ring?
May need to be broken down and reassembled carefully checking the position of O ring. Sometimes when you click lid on O rings can pop out of place.
Very frustrating when things don't work correctly.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70171

• LovesLC
Thanks Ernie14! Maybe I'm not looking at enough o rings? I count 2 on connectors I think I saw on YouTube there are some inside? I guess I'll break out the screwdriver...
Frustrating because it was working perfect before I touched it, lol...

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70172

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Should be one around the motor and a big one around the lid, definitely sounds like one of theses is your problem.
Have you ever changed them? would suggest getting replacements.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70173

• LovesLC
Resolved! I am so happy! This is weird and I have no clue why this would fix it, but I was at Home Depot to see if they had the rubber seals. I found the ones around the lid and around the round thing by the impellor and they honestly looked fine. They were intact and not stretched or worn..but I figured I will replace them anyway and see what happens.
I did not find any rubber seals that would work, so scratch that idea..
But while I was there I picked up more vinyl hose line for the input/output and some hose clamps because my hoses were getting very stiff .
As soon as I put on the new hoses and clamps and turned it on it worked beautifully!
The only thing I can think of is maybe the stiff hoses were causing the quick-release connector piece to tilt slightly so it was not airtight where the quick release part meets the top cover? And it ran fine until I disconnected it because it was probably in a good position at that time where that quick release piece was not being rocked/ tilted?
But when I tried to reconnect it I never got the connector piece in a position where the stiff hoses were not tilting it?
Anyway, that is just a guess..
Thanks for your help Ernie14! I'm going to add this one to my troubleshooting notes for Rena filters, lol...

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70174

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Glad you got it sorted out!

Like Ernie said, it's super important to clean and lube all O-ring seals every time you open the filter up. I use Plumber's grease that's silicone grease and safe for for water supply fittings, etc.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarshyMellowFluff

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70176

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I've heard of people using vaseline to lube O-Rings. Is this safe for the o-rings, or how do I know what to buy exactly? I always get nervous buying things for fish, that weren't really manufactured for them. Would something like this work?
www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.silicone-lubricant.1000515837.html

Currently haven't been greasing the o-rings. Had no idea it's supposed to be done regularly. I've never had issues from skipping this step though.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70178

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
This is what I use. Cost about $3/tube at home/hardware centers near me. I've been using the same tube for 4yrs on my canisters.

www.doitbest.com/products/440945
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70179

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Pure olive oil works well too. I wouldnt use Vaseline, its petroleum based, toxic. Prob take a lot and a long time to harm fish, but why risk when there are other completely safe options
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Rena filter issues 1 year 3 months ago #70180

• LovesLC
Thanks everybody! Yes, I am going to oil the O rings...you don't realize what a bummer it is for the filter to stop working until it happens!
I am driving home right now with my brand new Python water changer! I am so excited! I don't mind doing water changes, I actually think it is relaxing...but it takes me forever with the hand truck and Rubbermaid bin and I never fail to soak our floors...I am hoping this will change that! I am also hoping that the connector fits our rather weird, irregular faucet.
I don't like the idea of putting the Prime in the tank first and not in the new water first...but it sounds like that is how it works..
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds