Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Canister filter for 75 gallon

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69693

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 103
54_white wrote:
I was reading reviews of canister filters, money is really not the issue I just want what will work for my oscar and jack Dempsey tank. So I can take off the two aquaclear 110

Is the media in your two AC110's keeping up with the bioload from the Oscar and JD? Please don't interpret my questions as accusatory....just trying to understand your situation in order to optimize feedback.

Under the assumption the AC110's aren't keeping up with the bioload and since cost isn't a primary consideration, I'd run an Eheim 2217 or a Filstar XP-L alongside one of your AC110's. I'd put 1.5 times the media in whichever canister you choose. I'd run two sponges on the AC110.

Unless you have another use for the surplus AC110, I'd consider also keeping it on your 75g - also with two sponges. This will give you a great deal of mechanical filtration and filtering redundancy. If your canister ever gives up the ghost, you can take a sponge out of each AC110 and put as much of the media from your deceased canister as possible into the two AC110's. This will allow you to get by while waiting for a replacement canister.

I ran an Eheim 2217 and Fluval 406 on my 75g with a single 8-9" Oscar. The water was clear and looked great. Your water will have even less particulates with the configuration I outlined. I don't know how much water the FX4 will move compared to the dual AC110/canister configuration but I'd think the latter will move more water than a single FX4. If you find there is too much water movement, you can turn down the two AC110's.

More questions...you said you have an Oscar and a JD in the 75g:
1. How old are they?
2. How long have they been together in the 75g?
3. Do you plan to keep both the Oscar and JD in the 75g indefinitely?
4. User name of "54_white"....are you a Cowboys fan?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69698

• 54_white
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Oscar is 3in JD is about the same. Tank has been set up sense early February, for some reason the tank stays cloudy from what I heard is a bacteria bloom. We just tough it was the two AC not doing the job so we started looking at canisters, we are thinking the rena xp3 may be the choice. And yes I'm a huge dallas cowboys fan. Randy White is my all time favorite player.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69699

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 73
Did you cycle your tank before adding your fish?
Bacterial bloom may indicate that your filters are still trying to establish a colony of beneficial bacteria. This is commonly called new tank syndrome.
Can you share your water parameters with us? Particularly your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69700

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 175
I have three 75g with various stocking.
All three have a marineland 360. And two have ac110 HOB and one a penguin 350
180 oscar and SD's
75 JD / Pleco
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
29 malawi
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores- BO

56 empty and willing

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69701

• 54_white
  • Poecilia reticulata
I don't test the water myself my wife takes it to petsmart. Everything was good but alkanity was low

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69702

• Ernie14
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 73
54_white wrote:
I don't test the water myself my wife takes it to petsmart. Everything was good but alkanity was low

Would strongly suggest you purchase an API MASTER Test kit and test your own water. This is the only way of knowing what is happening with your water chemistry.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 days ago #69704

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 397
Northstar5 wrote:
FX6 is the newer version of the FX5. Same capacity, same performance. Still too much for 75g. You have to consider they hold about 9lbs of bio media, and any sanely stocked 75g tank wont have a bioload that would necessitate that much bio. The media would never hold its capacity of beneficial bacteria. The FX4 is a newly introduced little brother of the 6. It would be more reasonable to run that on 75g.

I disagree here, if there is to much space for bio media for you than just use more mech media or a Ion exchanging resin or a other chem media. You also could use it for peat or other media as an reactor or something else.

The flow is most likley to much in turnover rates to run it on 100% but you can brake it on the outlet velve or you bypass and splitten the flow to another filter.
There is nothing like to much space for media also the FX is actually not that good of a filter for bio. It's just an modded pond filter but for dirty fish it does the Job.

There are other alternatives, there are better filters or methods out there but to much media capacity for big cichlids just no.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 3 days ago #69707

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 103
54_white wrote:

Yeah....Ernie is spot on. I'd invest in a test kit and test the water regularly. Upon receiving the test kit, I suggest testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and reporting your results here. If you're unsure about the process of converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate -- it's called the Nitrogen Cycle...it's the foundation of having a healthy tank. I've included a link to a good article that explains it. Let us know if you have any questions....we'll clear everything up for you (pun intended re: bacterial bloom). :snicker:

One thing to note about the API nitrate test....Bottle #2 must be shaken thoroughly - the directions say for 30 seconds. Many hobbyists have found that time creates inaccurately low results and choose to shake it vigorously for 1-2 minutes.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 3 days ago #69712

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
54_white wrote:

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

I keep an oscar and a green severum in a 75. They've been together in this tank since 2013. This tank is filtered by a single AC110 and a Marineland C360 canister. There is also a large pothos plant growing out of this tank that probably helps somewhat with filtration. I do one weekly fin-level water change on this tank.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Canister filter for 75 gallon 2 months 4 hours ago #69798

• 54_white
  • Poecilia reticulata
I went with the fx4 I don't see much difference in flow then with two aquaclear 110. It's not nearly as loud either. My oscar don't seem to mind one bit. T h anks for all the help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds