Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Canister filter for 75 gallon

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69673

• 54_white
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm currently running two aquaclear 110, but looking for a canister filter. Is the SunSun HW-704B 525 GPH 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9W UV Sterilizer. Gonna be enough to run my tank without the two aquaclear 110
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69675

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
SunSun does what it should but the low price also have it's downs.

1: Sunsun and Resun have for 2017 standarts horrible wattages and there real power consumption is also mostly 25 to 50% higher as promised.

2: Sunsun cans often have problems with bending plastics inside so it happens that media baskets get stuck. This happened to me and if I remember right also to rush here in the forum

3: An 9 Watt UV Sterilizer on an canister at this size is pointless. The UV Blub is way to weak and the water flows to fast.
If you want an UVC System look for something in the 20 to 60 Watt range that gets connected at the outlet hose side. Sounds much in power consumption but you save the same amount on heating.

4: Sunsun Canister in and outlet pipes, suckercups and hose should be replaced directly because it's cheapest plastic and the hose is smelling horrible. He also bend like an old wired Phone cord, at least for me.

5: The biomedia given by sunsun is a Joke.

At the other side i had the 1200 Liters per hour version and it was very quite and also an steady filter. No problems with priming if the hoses was filled.

The connector between hoses and can never made problems and maintaince was ok in replacing polyfiltermaterial. I had given my away to an friend with an 50G.. He has nearly non existing stock with only a small group of Neon tetras and i doubt he cleaned it in the last 12 to 15 months once and it's still running with an respectable flow.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69677

• 54_white
What size canister filter will work best for my tank

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69678

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 410
54_white wrote:
What size canister filter will work best for my tank

I don't know your tank size or stocking mate but for big cichlids there is basicly no thing as to much Filtration.

There are countless types out there and twice as much choises in combination If two cans or one can one hob or two hobs and a can ect.

I would go as big as you can handle in your wallet. If you want an huge bio can look for an used Eheim 1500XL and put an small powerhead on it. If you want Plug and play the Eheim 1200XL is a good but for the US market an expensive choise.
If you want to replace the hobs completly may an FX6 is an alternative.
If any of this 3 monsters haven't space in your cabinet than go with the can you can afford and is the biggest as possible that fits.

Anyways don't let you mindtrick with Flowrates. An Canisters primary use is biological and here more flow is not better at all.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69679

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Fluval FX series is too much for 75g. I suggest a rock solid reliable, efficient, medium sized can. For this the API Filstar XPL or Eheim 2217 have no equals. I would also keep one AC110 on the tank. Can for bio, hob for mechanical. Having 2 is always a good thing. Should one fail, the other will preserve cycle, protect your fish. Just fyi, if you have the current AC's running sponge only with a very full media bag on top of that, your 75 is well filtered already. I run these pair of filters on larger tanks than 75, one only medium sized cichlid.If you are heavily, or overstocked, then canister will be needed.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AquaNut

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69680

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
Sunsun 304b is a great low cost canister that's large, or a Marineland C360 when on sale. If cost is no object, Eheim or API Filstar. I've got two Sunsun 302's in service and love them, but they're too small for a 75g unless you wanted to run 2-3 of them. I've had one of my Sunsuns going since 2013 and have yet to replace any of the seals on it. To me, the quality of the very expensive units isn't what it used to be, that's why I hate to spend a ton of money on a filter.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69686

• 54_white
I seen a fx4 at petsmart would that work. Or should I consider a fx6. I use to have a fx5 I loved it but sold it due my wife lol Are there any where I could pick up another fx5?

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69688

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
FX6 is the newer version of the FX5. Same capacity, same performance. Still too much for 75g. You have to consider they hold about 9lbs of bio media, and any sanely stocked 75g tank wont have a bioload that would necessitate that much bio. The media would never hold its capacity of beneficial bacteria. The FX4 is a newly introduced little brother of the 6. It would be more reasonable to run that on 75g.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69691

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
54_white wrote:
I seen a fx4 at petsmart would that work. Or should I consider a fx6. I use to have a fx5 I loved it but sold it due my wife lol Are there any where I could pick up another fx5?

What is it that you're looking for? First you mentioned a Sunsun, then an FX4. You're comparing an $80 filter with a $200-280 one.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Canister filter for 75 gallon 7 months 3 days ago #69692

• 54_white
I was reading reviews of canister filters, money is really not the issue I just want what will work for my oscar and jack Dempsey tank. So I can take off the two aquaclear 110
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds