Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vacuum during TSS???

Vacuum during TSS??? 8 months 1 day ago #71807

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Ok, so I have a new tank set up with some mbuna and I used TSS to get it going. So according to what I have read, I shouldn’t vacuum or do wc for 2 weeks. I am just worried about waiting that long because there is a lot of detritus building up on the substrates already after only 4 days. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Vacuum during TSS??? 8 months 1 day ago #71808

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
What are your ammonia/nitrite readings after 4 days? Used of products such as SafeStart are hit and miss (as in not always effective). If your ammonia levels are through the roof you need to be performing water changes regardless of the SafeStart directions. If your ammonia/nitrite levels are zero then you should be OK performing water changes.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Vacuum during TSS??? 8 months 1 day ago #71809

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
So, i should be fine doing a wc or should I just allow the tss to keep doing its thing for a few more days?

Vacuum during TSS??? 8 months 1 day ago #71811

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
What are your nitrates from the water source you're using to fill the tank? For example, I use tap water that has a nitrate reading of 5ppm.

If your ammonia and nitrites are zero and the nitrate reading of the water in your tank is the same as it is from your virgin water source, then you don't have a cycled tank. However, if your ammonia and nitrites are zero and your nitrate reading is higher than it is from your virgin water source, then you have a cycled tank.

Ammonia gets "eaten" by beneficial bacteria that expel nitrite into the tank water after they metabolize the ammonia. The beneficial bacteria that "eats" the nitrite expel nitrate into the tank water after they metabolize the nitrite. If the nitrite eating bacteria are expelling nitrate into the water, you'll be able to tell because your nitrate readings will be higher than it is for your water that comes out of the tap (or whatever water source you're using).

Make sense??

Vacuum during TSS??? 8 months 1 day ago #71813

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Having instructions like don't vac substrate, don't change water makes the product all the more BS imho. Yeah, I'm an old school guy that thinks all these products are snake oil. However, if you have confidence that it will promote quick cycle, water changes wont affect anything. The BB you are looking to cultivate isn't free swimming in the water, it attaches to filter bio media, substrate and deco, with the vast majority settling into filter media. Change the water, remove waste from substrate, that's of major importance to the fish.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds