Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restocking 55g

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70643

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey everyone, I'm restocking my 55g and naturally I wanted to bring the conversation here as I don't trust anyone more than you guys!

I was just wanting to know if you guys had any interesting ideas or suggestions for me. I have low light plants in there with a fairly low light led and a 200 watt aqueon pro with a canister and two large hob for filtration. The tank has gravel and the PH is 7.8 so keep those in mind. I'm up for species only with one fish, community, or even breeding. There's so many options I'm having a hard time narrowing it down.

One species I've wanted to keep are Bolivians but I don't want them to be with gravel if they're big on sand sifting/moving and if the PH of mine will be too high. I'm fine with buffering the water if that's the option I need to take, but my preference is picking fish for my water.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70645

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 409
Do you wanna stay with cichlids? 200 Liters would be fine for two pairs of Cryptoheros and they will breed...

For something that would be more a challage maybe some Betta wildform? Maybe Betta macrostoma. In this case get rid of the HOBs. Decorate with alot of structure and easy plants. Fern, Moss and anubia. As much you can. Also tubes, pipes and so on. With 14 cm also not an drawf. But nothing for a community. They are a**holes and aResearch also very predatory. A friend of mine breed them. They catch adult edler Guppys for dinner.

For a single fish and little Monster Erythrinus sp. I have one. Had him in heavy planted 240 Liters where he was an ambush predator. N dim light at night he looks like a micro shark. They max out between 22 to 26 cm while the males become real studs with a huge dorsal fin and this big Bulldog head. The females stay more slim.

In bigger tanks an very active and fast swimmer. Also very easy to keep. Need to be feed once or twice per week. But the tank need to be covered and weighted down because they are jumpers.

Here an adult male. This guys looks so mean but actually they are community friendly if they can not eat there tank mates. But anything to 3 inches and slim like livebearers become a snack.

If this is may to hard to get your hands on and you wanna stay with cichlids may a single Salvini male? For a pair 55G is to small or you need to prepared for Separation because without something to fight the male will soon or later kill his female. Maybe a Discus breeder pair in bare bottom and with a clay cone for eggs but you need to like this bare tanks but depending on the stunning fish may worth it. Of course breeding will not be possible than you would need more tanks for rising,at least for the Discus.

I still have some more ideas but I don't know your price Limit. A pair of this bettas will may cost you 100 to 150 bucks, the rainbow Wolf as a juvi may 30. But this are european prices may you get them cheaper.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70646

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for the response!

I'm preferring to stick to cichlids mostly. I've always liked Salvini's but I never seem to find adults, so if I wanted to keep one would it be best to get a group and pick the nicest of them?

I have an EB Acara that's an adult and very nice...do you think I could buy 2-3 more and try to breed them in a 55g?

I've also considered getting multiple smaller cichlids in a 55 and either having groups breed or a few that'll form a "community" if that makes sense.

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70647

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
55 G would only work with real drawf cichlids and also just in a limited number like Apistos with 2 males and may 4 to 5 females but for this the tank need to be stuffed with at least 2 to 3 hiding spots per fish plants and random oak or other dry leafs and of course some dithers to split aggression, may edler Guppys. A 15G to raise some drawfs or may one of this fry nets would be ok.
On the EB Acara i don't have personal exp and may two pairs would work but depending there size i doubt it will work to breed them with success. For this you nearly always need a species only and one pair tank.

Even rising fry of fairly small Cryptoheros would not work in 55G in this way because the tank will be gunky very quick because you need to feed alot. Need protection on your filter intakes so that fry not get vac in and start to decompose in your media.
For this fry commenly gets raised in bare bottom only with sponge filtration in any kind of Form from cartrige or HMF with more frequent water changes. I use for HRP as example an 120 x 50 x 50 cm as final tank for rising fry with an HMF side filter at 20 ppi 3 cm thick and 50 x 50 cm what is 7.5 Liters of Media and an single airJet liter that does around 400 to 500 Liters per hour, heater behind the mat. Decoration is only random stuff like some clay pots with holes in it and fake plants. Maintaince is daily 4 buckets WC whiping the floor, sides and front twice per week to avoid bacterial growth also at least 2 to 3 daily feeding.

So you may see a Display and breeding tank together mostly never work with cichlids. At least as long you don't need to catch fry and destroy the Layout.

For the male Salvini, it can happen that he will be an all day hider alone. Depending on max size and max filtration may even a single female Parachromi Loisellei or moto should work but also would look later a little deplaced in an 4 feet tank may stay all day in a cave or clay pot and comes out to eat and hide again.

For a good looking display with easy care and random breeding for me only some Cryptoheros or Amatitlania/fancy convicts come into mind or Apistos.

Lee Nutal has some nice examples for that.

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70650

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
An Mbuna tank would be fun :)
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Restocking 55g 2 months 2 weeks ago #70656

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
blackcougar wrote:
An Mbuna tank would be fun :)

May a little small for Malawis but some smaller Tanganika or Victoria lake cichlids may work.

Restocking 55g 2 months 1 week ago #70689

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
After trying to post 3-4 times on my phone, I'm going to try and post on the laptop now...

As much as I like dwarf cichlids all the ones from SA that I've found don't match up with my PH. I like the Cryptoheros, Thoricthys, and the other smaller CA cichlids that would seemingly fit well in my PH unlike the SA cichlids, but I can't find any so far.

When it comes to breeding, I'm not necessarily looking for them to breed and I raise them up, I just love the dynamic of breeding pairs.

When it comes to cichlids that I can keep in my setup it seems like there aren't as many options (at least through a lfs) as I thought. Worst case I dish out the extra money through an online seller which I'm hesitant to do.

Restocking 55g 2 months 1 week ago #70694

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Mostly an good Investment than the quality on more specialized online sellers is better as many LFS. To bad you are that far away than i have right now a full batch of Hondurans that start to color up know and hitting 1".
Still to bad you are not interested in the Erythrinus. For an single fish they are very cool and for you in the US the most close you could get to an drawf snakehead.

Restocking 55g 2 months 1 week ago #70762

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
I have had a dwarf in PH under 6 for years
He is strong and has done very well.
I have to make buffer for Malawi tank, but these dwarfs seem very stable fish
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 peacock and eB
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

Restocking 55g 2 months 1 week ago #70764

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
I think we are going to have to revisit one question.... Are you willing to order said fish online? Or are you looking local?

If you are willing to go online, you can have almost anything you want if you are willing to pay the price. If not, then you are somewhat at the mercy of whatever floats through your local ma and pa shops or big chains.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds