Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EBJD... AGAIN....

EBJD... AGAIN.... 3 weeks 1 hour ago #70576

• mikeynyhc
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
whats up fellas? I've had a run of bad luck with the ebjds.. I've lost all of them I've purchased over the past two years, and there were a lot of them! never made it over an inch, one I did have made it to 3, and he was a fighter, but basically he was rotting and so deformed. I always kept parameters on the tanks I've kept them in in PERFECT quality, always zero other than 10-20ppm nitrate. always got them from reputable breeders. I get that they're extremely delicate, so its rough to see them through. I'm determined!

I recently picked up 5 of them, tiny babies, a half inch. got them in a 55g. sponges on the intakes on two AC110'S loaded with matrix and sponge. only thing in there is two little caves to hide, basically the tank looks empty. any advice on anything else I can do for these guys(health/growth) other than keeping that water as clean as possible? my temp in the tank is 80.. if I remove all decor they will lose their minds without cover right?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 6 days ago #70577

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Anything you can possibly do to keep stress free. You have an almost non-existent bioload, so whatever bacteria colony is in the pair of AC's will be very small. With 5 you will undoubtedly have a dominant one or two eventually, and the weak will perish. To strengthen immune system and bone structure, I suggest adding Boyd's Vitachem to the meals at about 3x weekly. Try for a high protein content, freeze dried krill and shrimp, but also shoot for some veg content. NLS Algaemax and Northfin Veg formula are top shelf. You can also make a home brew from chopped fish and shrimp, sprinkle with a light dose of spirulina powder. Any health food store carries that. I have tried Blue Jacks a couple times in the past, 3yrs and about 5ins was the best I achieved. Lotsa luck needed with these delicate fish
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 6 days ago #70578

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Live food and lower temperature. I have a friend that has a mixed JD pair that produce EBJD and he keeps them between 71.5 to 73 degrees Fahtenheit.

He also keeps them till 4 to 5 cm mostly on live food like water fleas and artemia.
They have a very high death rate as juveilens. For this case the regular selling size here is at least 5 to 6 cm what makes them for cichlid stsndarts of course a bit more expensive as other species.
That whole offspring clutches have very high lost rates is not very commen but for example i know it's the same case for Mesoheros festae. The adult fish is very hardy but till a decent size very picky and fragile.

I also think you should watch out for allready bigger ones with at least 2.5". A half inch is way to small. In this case go for a dozen or more that are possible to raise in 55 G and later select some out. OF course you still will have lost but in decent numbers not by aggression in this sizes.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 4 days ago #70579

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
If the issue is manufactured breeding ....why can't this be solved.
They are special looking fish...
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 JD / Pleco
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
29 malawi
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores- BO

56 empty and willing

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 2 days ago #70589

• mikeynyhc
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
I appreciate the advice.. this is the last time I take a shot at these guys. I had two acaras at about 5 inches each in the tank before, and I made the mistake of putting a dwarf pleco in there I bought from petland that infected the tank with ich, took my acaras out so fast, barely had time to treat the tank, it was devastating. I salt and heated the tank for two weeks after that before putting the jds in, still have kept the cycle after rinsing the filter sponge and matrix in buckets of water from the Oscar tank.. so far so good and the tank is doing great. I'm still using some salt and keeping the temp at around 82 as opposed to 90 when it was empty with the salt to wipe the ich.

I'll take the temp down gradually from here as long as they're doing well. already started the vitachem, have them eating hikari freeze dried krill, bloodworms, and pellets. can I add the hikari cichlid excel pellets to the diet for their veggie content? this mixed diet is the best I can do to promote growth? i have heard that before about keeping the temps down, I'm not going to lie, I am a little nervous about it but I will try it and watch how they do.

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 1 day ago #70592

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
Any time I have juvenile fish in a big tank I like to add fake plants. Big floating plants that add cover for them to feel safe in.

Good luck with these guys. The fact that so few have made it speaks to how far the strength of the gene pool has fallen over the past decade... Hopefully there is on in there for you.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

EBJD... AGAIN.... 2 weeks 11 hours ago #70595

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
Central american rivers can become more or less very cold for mostly at least subtropical conditions in may even high 60s to very to 70s. So no reason to be affraid.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds