Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: who wants to hear an interesting diagnose?

who wants to hear an interesting diagnose? 5 months 4 days ago #70315

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 56
PH 8.0
nitrates 20 - 30 ppm (this is after a 75% water change. Nitrates coming out of the tap is around 10 ppm but someone reported 13 ppm with an Exact Idip on a website for my local region) The river flooded last weekend so there is a lot of run off at the moment.
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
KH 10
GH 10

I can't get a clear shot of the fish but I did find a fish online with the same coloration issues.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...WHsN8m-aj58Dhrs7XIeg
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sick or not sick? 5 months 4 days ago #70319

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 409
What is the size and potential age?

Still eating and pooping?

Is it an supressed fish in that african setup?

Are eyes clear and gills red?

Do you may see a damaged slime coating or is he scratching hinself on substrate?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Sick or not sick? 5 months 3 days ago #70320

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
What is the size and potential age? about three and three quarters to four inches and 6 to 8 months old. That's the size to expect them at this age. They were 1.5 inches when I brought them home.

Still eating and pooping? yes, I feed them peas two to three times a month.

Is it an supressed fish in that african setup? not by the peacocks cause he tends to stand up to my male. The other one is a bit on the aggressive side with him, not enough to cause a lot damage, fin nipping but that's pretty normal with cichlids.

Are eyes clear and gills red? yes and no

Do you may see a damaged slime coating or is he scratching hinself on substrate? as far as I can tell he doesn't scratch himself.

I'm beginning to suspect I need to readjust the way I add in the cichlid lake salts. This has been going on for more then a few weeks. It shows up after water changes and disappears two to three days later.

About a month a go one of them had jumped on top of the lid of the tank, he managed to push himself back in before I could help him. I'm wondering if this is the one that jumped the tank. It's possible he damaged the slime coat.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Sick or not sick? 5 months 3 days ago #70321

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Just a question on your comment of adding cichlid lake salts. Is this something to bring soft acidic water up to African comfort levels? If so may I suggest crushed coral as a substrate. My natural tap water is soft, low to neutral Ph, all perfect for SA fish. I have kept Mbuna and Peacocks in the past, and crushed coral settled Ph at 8.2 and raised hardness considerably. Nothing to add, measure or risk of doing wrong.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Sick or not sick? 5 months 3 days ago #70324

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Well maybe that's something I will look into but yes I'm attempting to harden the water to SA comfort level.

And maybe that's the issue. Because the tap water hardness is at 5 out of the tap but the PH is 8.0, but the PH level drops below 7.6 if it is not buffered between water changes.

Big Als carries a sand substrate that was suggested to me, and give it some thought. It will cost 70 for a 50 pound bag.

The male peacock is really starting to get blue in the face so to speak. He is a blue peacock. That will be an update for another time when he's fully colored up. He is starting to get there. He let me get the camera shot I wanted. What do you think, is this damage from jump the tank the one day? odd I thought it was lighter then that. Or do I need to change to something that will naturally buffer the water for me?

65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Sick or not sick? 5 months 3 days ago #70325

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
The sand at BigAls is Aragonite sand. It will buffer the water the same as crushed coral. I had that also, its a fine grain sand and it clogged my filters constantly. To be honest I dont see anything wrong with your fish, but at the same time, Africans are far down on my experience list. By the by, and I say this quite lightly, SA in fish forum speak means South American.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Sick or not sick? 5 months 3 days ago #70327

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
It's slowly going away again.

about adding crushed coral, should I mix it in with the gravel or how do I add it?

After doing some research, it looks like someone did an experiment and reported their findings. Putting crushed coral into a media bag and adding it to the filter naturally buffers the water keeping the PH stable from what came out of the tap.

PH in my tap water is 8.0, if crushed coral helps keep everything steady, then I don't have to worry about altering the parameters in the tank
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Sick or not sick? 5 months 2 days ago #70333

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
I wouldnt mix the existing gravel with crushed coral. I would remove the gravel all at once, this will likely make a cloudy, dirt mess, but basically unavoidable. Good excuse for a large volume water change. Add crushed coral maybe half then couple days later half again. Keep it thin, just enough to cover the tank bottom. Rinse it thoroughly before use. Side note.. 70 bucks for the 50lb of sand?????? I paid 40 same bag just about 4 yrs ago. Are you in Ontario? Which BA do you shop at?

Sick or not sick? 5 months 2 days ago #70336

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
I shop at the one in London Ontario and yes I live in Ontario.

www.bigalspets.com/ca/carib-sea-coraline...coral.html?sku=15594

is this one okay?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

Sick or not sick? 5 months 2 days ago #70337

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats the same bag I had also. I had 2 in a 5ft 120g. It was not too much, but plenty. One bag would do your 65 just fine. I'm in North Bay, BA Barrie is closest to me. Most of my big tanks came from there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds