Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 7 months 18 hours ago #70096

• waycool
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi I am new to the forum pleased to be here.

I have a 65g tank that currently hoses 6 male Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri and 2 Firemouth 5 clown loach.

now I also have a 175g tank witch I intend for Oscar my question is can I keep the Red Humps with the Oscar and the Firemouth the Red Humps are all about 6.5'' inch apart from the biggest male that is almost 9'' inch the Firemouths 5'' inch 5 clown loach all fully grown at about 7'' inch I would like to keep them together with 1 x young tiger Oscar and 1 x young Chocolate cichlid 1 x young Jack Dempsey.

Would this work.
Thank All
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 7 months 16 hours ago #70098

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
I think for the most part you should be ok as far as aggression is concerned. I would get the geos and loaches in the 175 and give them several months to get comfortable before adding the oscar chocolate and Dempsey. Hopefully as the oscar grows he just learns to accept the geos as tank mates. I think your biggest issue will be bioload. The oscar chocolate and Dempsey all have the potential to hit a foot in length and the steineys will also keep growing slowly (except the big guy he's pretty close to topped out I'd guess). Add the loaches and firemouths and that is a heavily stocked tank once everyone is full grown. Short term I'd say you're fine. Long term is always the big question mark.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 7 months 10 hours ago #70099

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 413
To much boload in the long term like allready said by rush.
Steins can be mean to each other, especially the males like to fight each other. I also never saw such an huge Steindachneri like yours, are you suremember it's not an geophagus brasiliensis?

The tank size is decent but for me you have to many to big and dominant ground depends fish.

G. steindachneri 9"
T. meeki dominant mid size central
Jack Dempsy also dominant ground depending

That are 9 at least hand sized fish in future to one foot fishes around. It can work but depending on waterlayer it will be cramped.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: waycool

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 7 months 3 hours ago #70102

• waycool
  • Poecilia reticulata
Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri at 8.2cm is big and I have questioned that my self but he was pond bred as all my Red Humps have been I bred them all my self in my conservatory pond. SIZE : Eartheaters usually range in size from 6-12" (15-30 cm), although some species grow no larger than 4" (10 cm). I kept Gymnogeophagus and steindachneri all in that 12.8ft pond so I did question the possibility of interbreeding maybe he is a OB but never really got an answers as far as I know he is a steindachneri. Regards to Bio load I am, on a 1250g drip system this has a 10 times per day turnover on the 65g but this runs my pond and my 65g tank and will run my 175g so will have a turnover 8 times per day or there about. I do 50% water changes on all my tanks every 3 days. So my system is way overkill as it is built for a 22.8tf pond. my friend that built and designed the system runs 42 55s of his.

I agree there could be a problem with a large number of bottom dependent fish in the 175g and with a Oscar I can't really add lots of hiding places but what if I was to use lots of rocks like a African setup and not add a JD or Chocolate cichlid and go with silver dollar in steed would that help with the bottom dependency issue would the Oscar be ok in that setup?.

I must add I have no experience with Oscar this will be my first Oscar I have kept Flowerhorn in the past witch are more aggressive I traded him as I could not get any tank mates for him he just would not have it. I was going along the lines of the needs of a Oscar similar but without that aggression they are both highly intelligent fish I may be completely wrong but take away the aggression and their dependencies are very similar from what I have read about them. Any way if anyone can come up with good tank mats for an Oscar and the fish I already have I would be grateful

Thanks.

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 6 months 4 weeks ago #70104

• waycool
  • Poecilia reticulata
toom wrote:
Steins can be mean to each other, especially the males like to fight each other. I also never saw such an huge Steindachneri like yours, are you suremember it's not an geophagus brasiliensis?

The tank size is decent but for me you have to many to big and dominant ground depends fish.

G. steindachneri 9"

That are 9 at least hand sized fish in future to one foot fishes around. It can work but depending on waterlayer it will be cramped.

Geophagus brasiliensis Is that the one witch as the common name (Pearlscale Eartheater) or Pearl Cichlid. ?

Red Hump Eartheater, Geophagus steindachneri 6 months 4 weeks ago #70107

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 413
waycool wrote:
toom wrote:

G. steindachneri 9"

Geophagus brasiliensis Is that the one witch as the common name (Pearlscale Eartheater) or Pearl Cichlid. ?

Yes brasiliensis is the Pearl cichlid. It is just an idea but it's one of a few fish that look at least alike.

You can be 100% sure about the difference if you see them breeding. Steindachneri are mouth breeders, brasiliensis are free spawners.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds