Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Does Dovii make a good pet?

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69824

• LovesLC
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Good advice regarding insurance! I never would have thought of that...
600 gallons could sure cause some damage...
We own the house, and the 'tank' room is ground level, not raised and pretty much all cement with some laminate on top. But I think it is one of those things that, if it ever happened, would be waaaay down the road.
My husband is not really up for another tank right now..
He might not even want me to fill up the 200G again! So I guess I'll feel lucky if I can get that going ....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69836

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
I would be losing my mind if I had an empty 200g! Yes too small for adult male Dovii. You could have a fine specimen of male Jag, XL Midas, something well under 20ins. I recently bumped my male Jag (massive fella) up to a 7ft 265g, from a 6ft 180. He looks very good in it.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69841

• LovesLC
I like Midas!
But Jaguars are so neat looking..
North Star, it drives me crazy that I have an empty 40G! Let alone 200G...
I do love to go look at some of the more interesting fish at some of the more 'questionable' fish stores in our area...
I will still never understand the store that had literally thousands of Arowana (juvenile) packed so tightly I thought they were feeder fish at first. in large tanks on the floor, on shelves, on top of each other..
I usually see 1 or 2. Never in my life have seen thousands before...
That is another beautiful fish that work in my tank but might get too big.
We'll see if the husband is OK with setting it up again....he is not at all a 'pet' person...I guess opposites do attract, lol..
BTW, do you have a picture of your male Jag?
Sounds like he likes his extra room!

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69845

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
LovesLC wrote:
....BTW, do you have a picture of your male Jag?....

Northstar's Jag named Thor can be seen within the first few minutes of this really nice Youtube video AquaNut made of Northstar's fish room a few months ago. The video is ~30 minutes in length but I've watched it front to back 3 times and ala carte watch pieces of it fairly frequently.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69853

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Thx beretta. I half-assed measured Thor when I moved him. Dont have a net that big. Tried a towel and a pillowcase. No cooperation from him. I ended up forcing him into a cooler with a 16in length. He didnt fit by a rough guess 2ins. This guy is honestly the biggest Jag I have ever seen, live or video. I know Guapote Mel has a 12yr old male that appears to be taller, but Thor is longer. And Thor is only 5yrs. Thor is currently on a mini hunger strike, has eaten only a couple pellets and two fish chunks in 11 days. No biggie, he did this before when he moved into a new tank. Gonna get Mike(AquaNut) over for fresh videos very soon. Have 2 new baby Red Oscars, new GT juvie, new setups in different tanks. Rambling a bit here, no intent to hijack the thread. Point being I suppose is that big fish need big space. More than most folks realize.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69859

• LovesLC
Thanks! I am going to watch it now...

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69867

• LovesLC
Wow, what a great, informative video...and beautifully maintained tanks and fish!
That is something everybody with fish should aim for...to look like your tanks! Lucky fish!
Now I am feeling really bad for putting mine into smaller tanks...I just could not stand to see her get so beat up..she would be trying desperately to hide under things when I got home from work.
Now she is in smaller tank but outgoing and always doing her little food dance..I may see about picking her up a 95G, same as the other fella...
In the video you mentioned Rena Filstar XP3...I just bought one used on Monday and it seems to run really well. It was a good price. I added it for the 95G and I'm looking for another to add to the 75G. Either the same kind, or I saw ads for a couple of Fluval 406 that seemed like a good price (for the 75G)
Loved the Jags! Beautiful! I really liked the female Dovii..she just looks so healthy and natural..
Well, certainly gives me some fishies to think about if the husband is OK with filling up the bigger tank again..
But it seems that there is always a little Oscar in trouble that I want to take home...Little friendly guy I saw on Saturday was covered with ich. I told the store owner that the little guy had ich, went back Monday to see how he was doing and the whole tank of little Oscars was gone. New ones were there. The owner would not say what happened to them..I keep thinking I should have brought the little guy home and treated him at least (I have a few empty tanks and spare, cycled HOBs)..
I think I'm going to go look at some more videos, lol..

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69868

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 409
LovesLC wrote:
Wow, what a great, informative video...and beautifully maintained tanks and fish!
That is something everybody with fish should aim for...to look like your tanks! Lucky fish!
Now I am feeling really bad for putting mine into smaller tanks...I just could not stand to see her get so beat up..she would be trying desperately to hide under things when I got home from work.
Now she is in smaller tank but outgoing and always doing her little food dance..I may see about picking her up a 95G, same as the other fella...
In the video you mentioned Rena Filstar XP3...I just bought one used on Monday and it seems to run really well. It was a good price. I added it for the 95G and I'm looking for another to add to the 75G. Either the same kind, or I saw ads for a couple of Fluval 406 that seemed like a good price (for the 75G)
Loved the Jags! Beautiful! I really liked the female Dovii..she just looks so healthy and natural..
Well, certainly gives me some fishies to think about if the husband is OK with filling up the bigger tank again..
But it seems that there is always a little Oscar in trouble that I want to take home...Little friendly guy I saw on Saturday was covered with ich. I told the store owner that the little guy had ich, went back Monday to see how he was doing and the whole tank of little Oscars was gone. New ones were there. The owner would not say what happened to them..I keep thinking I should have brought the little guy home and treated him at least (I have a few empty tanks and spare, cycled HOBs)..
I think I'm going to go look at some more videos, lol..

I am be honest here. I would love to see more improving, especially for Oscars in Shops but you can't arcive this by buying a dozen stocked Baby Oscars let alone sick ones.
Even as americans you don't like it, this only would work with a harsh regulation. The other way would be to get them out of the daily stock, they need to be an only order fish, avaible in small numbers and they need to be more expensive.
Most people give a rats a** on an 3 to 10 bucks fish but if an Oscar would depending on linebreed or catching location cost between 50 to may 150 $, it would look alot different.

This means the other way around for you buying an sick Baby oscar for a couple of dollars the Shop will replace this one with 1 to 2 new. Only with letting them sit on there fish will bring order and of course looking for the best possible source is the way to go even it is a bit more pricy.
Maybe Aqua Nut can make someday a video about this topic.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69870

• LovesLC
You are right, Toom..
The more I read about Oscars and look at videos of them and talk to people, the more I see that probably most people buy them without even close to the proper setup for them.
Another fish store near me has a large tank of all of the discarded large fish 'donations' and it is like a war zone in that tank. It would kill me to give one of mine away and have it be attacked in an overcrowded tank.
I wish they would not sell the ID sharks, common plecos and Bala sharks so cheap too.
And a pet peeve is when they sell a Clown Loach to somebody for snail control.
It still breaks my heart when I think about what happened to that little friendly Oscar.
It was good to see Northstar has some rescues..
I volunteer at the Animal Shelter and the first thing you learn is 'you can't save them all'..
I guess that applies to fish too, lol..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 2 weeks ago #69880

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
The PETCOs near me sell baby oscars but the largest tank they sell is 55 gallons. If you're going to sell a fish that grows to be over a foot in just over a year then why not sell an appropriately sized tank?

I wonder what percentage of the oscars sold at that place live to see their 2nd year?
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds