Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Does Dovii make a good pet?

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69805

• LovesLC
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All,
Per my previous post, I have separated my 2 Oscars into their own tanks, which has left my 200G tank empty.
I have started taking quite a liking to large American cichlids (and large fish in general).
It may be a little premature, but I have been thinking about another wet pet that would be happy in the 200G.
I have been reading quite a bit about Dovii...
It sounds like they have quite a bit of personality. My LFS has quite a few babies in a tank and they are charming little guys.
There is of course conflicting information online. With some sites saying 200G would work and other sites no..
I understand they are extremely aggressive, but this would be the only fish in the tank..
My questions would be, would this fish truly be OK alone it's entire life?
Would 200G be too small for it long term?
The tank has a decent footprint (8' X 2') ..
but I am finding that it is sort of a weird size as far as finding appropriate fish... it makes you feel like you have a large tank, but when you research some of the larger fish you realize it is not large enough...
I am sort of thinking these fish might need a 10' minimum X 3'....but I thought I would ask some opinions.
Seeing as they live so long, I figure if I ever was to have one I had better do it soon, lol..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69806

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
I would not consider 200 Gallons sufficient for a Dovii.

And keep in mind, if keeping a Dovii.... it's the one fish and the one fish only. Nothing else will survive being housed with a Dovii...... and watch your fingers if you want to keep them. :mrgreen:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69807

• LovesLC
Thanks Kmuda! I was sort of thinking that might be the case...
It makes me wonder what these fish store owners are thinking when they stock so many...
How many people are out there that have 10' + tanks to buy them? I'm thinking not many..
Is there another large-ish fish that might be happy in that size tank? I was looking at the Uarus but it sounds like they like to be in a group, so again it may not be large enough.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69808

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
Parachromis managuensis -- known as a Jaguar. Big....aggressive....cool looking. It would be a great fish for that tank.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69809

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
beretta96 wrote:
Parachromis managuensis -- known as a Jaguar. Big....aggressive....cool looking. It would be a great fish for that tank.

Ditto............... :thumbs:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69810

• tom
  • Thank you received: 232
It makes me wonder what these fish store owners are thinking when they stock so many...

Same idjits that sell Pacu to people with 20g tanks...
:bitchslap:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Silver Dollars

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69812

• LovesLC
Ahh and Jaguar cichlids are so pretty too!
Thanks! I will look them up..
Tom- this idjit does sell Pacus too! He always has a tank full of babies...They are on my wish list for somewhere down the road, along with a Giant Gourami friend ...
That is if I don't cave and get more Oscars, lol...

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69813

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 409
LovesLC wrote:
Ahh and Jaguar cichlids are so pretty too!
Thanks! I will look them up..
Tom- this idjit does sell Pacus too! He always has a tank full of babies...They are on my wish list for somewhere down the road, along with a Giant Gourami friend ...
That is if I don't cave and get more Oscars, lol...

That are all species for at least 600 Gallons. For the Dovii you would get away for may 2 years with an 200G.

The Giant Gouramy is also an fish you should consider as a lifetime Partner than you will have him for 30 to 40 years ;)
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69814

• LovesLC
Toom- yes, I have a fantasy 600 gallon in my head for my 'someday' Pacus and Giant Gourami friend!
I guess you could say it's on my bucket list, lol..
I am actually pleasantly surprised by how many enormous tanks are on Craigslist very inexpensive or even sometimes free. I think when people move they find it hard maybe to get rid of such big tanks.
The place where we bought my 200G tank from makes acrylic tanks for TV and movie shoots. When the shoot is finished, if they are not using it for another shoot they sell them for around $1 a gallon. When we were there looking they had a 600G acrylic for about $500. I should have bought it! If I had known then that I like big fish so much I might have! (My husband might think otherwise, though..lol..)

Does Dovii make a good pet? 6 months 3 weeks ago #69821

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 409
Do not underestimate the burdens of a tank like that. Keeping an aquarium at this size maintained can cost you several hundred $ per month depending on what is your use of water and electricity.

Also the structure of the house needs to support it. With stand, tank, ornaments, water this can be a weight in the 2 5 to 3 metric tons region. This can fu.. up tiled or wooden floors just by it's weight.

If you live in a rented house i think it will be nessesery to get the ok of the Landlord.

Also very important is to cover such am big tank in your household insurance. An accident with this tank could ruin in the worst case a fundation of an house and cost several ten of thousends in repairings.

I for example have covered al my tanks what cost me about 120 bucks more per year but it is worth it to be save caused by water damages.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds