Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44664

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 395

Pterophillum Altum The Altum Angelfish is the largest member of the angel family. These fish are rare and expensive. They are not "difficult to keep IF you are committed to supplying the proper conditions and care. If you cross your eyes at weekly water changes do not even consider these fish as they do best with daily changes and the minimum I would recommend is every other day. If daily changes are done 20%_30% is adequate. While some have reported success with tap water I truly believe that a reverse osmosis system is mandatory. The home waters of these fish have barley measurable quantities of dissolved mineral and high levels of humid substance from decaying plant matter. Due to these conditions you should be prepared to store and maintain large quantities of RODI water treated with peat moss or Cattapa leaves. Best is to use both. PH is best kept very acid with low to mid fours being optimal. Water in this range will let you know of every scrape or scratch on your hands so a dedicated set of nitrile gloves is the best bet for reaching in the tank.These fish are not very tolerant of changing conditions so a stabile maintenance routine is critical to a good out come. Skipping a change or two will stop the fish eating and they will huddle together waiting for improvement. They require high quality food and do best when fed small meals several times a day. I feed a mix of beef heart flake, bloodworm flake. NLS flake and NLS growth pellets. Along with two daily feelings of live brine shrimp. They like high temperatures and mine at least like about 90 F the best. Even small fluctuations upset them so using several oversized heaters works best. If all this seems a lot of work do not even consider trying to keep these fish.

This topic will continue to grow as I have time. This is the barest overview of care so far.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toom

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44666

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
What would you recommend for a single breeding pair? Also what do you think of tank hight? Is 23.6 with a half inch of substate enough for Altums or is like many say 27.5" hight bare minimum?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44671

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
Deeper is better. Mine are in 33" deep tank. Give me a few days to fill in the info and more will be revealed.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44672

• lilly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
what a great topic...can't wait for more :excited:

Thank you!
210g,1-lutino tiger O, 1- red long fin lutino O, 1 red O,7 SD
120g,3 Discus various dither fish
60g reef,1 sand sifting gobie,1black&white wrasse, various cleanup crew and lots of corals:)

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44673

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Beautiful, but that is a level of care I would not be able to provide. Kudos to you!
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44862

• bassetmancichlids
  • Advice Team
Water.

If keeping Altums is in your plans you need to read everything you can on keeping extreme black water fish. As with most of aquaria, if you get the water right everything else will fall into place. When creating water for these fish you have a few choices to make. First, can you modify your tap water to proper limits? If you water starts VERY soft this may be an option. There are chemicals that will soften water and lower ph but they only do so much. If your water is very far from your target hardness and ph you will likely run into issues with PH rebound. Adding acid will lower the ph but your water will resist the change with its mineral load and will slowly overcome the acid, returning to its natural PH. Swings in ph are hard on fish so this is not the best way to make your water suitable for the fish. For me, with over 220 ppm of mineral content, these types of modifications while maintaining stability was not going to work. I could get the ph started down but it would not stay. My water starts at 8.3 ph more than four times too alkaline than the Altums require. These fish are happiest with barely measurable levels of dissolved minerals in the water, so I had to take the second route. I had to make my water starting from a blank slate. RO Stands for reverse osmosis. DI is where ions are removed. RO systems take your base water and force it through a magic membrane that in effect only lets pure water molecules through...the minerals cannot get through the door. The DI removes the water preference for charged ions that can resist your efforts to change its PH. After the RODI process a small quantity of water, an acid buffer is added to lower the PH to a very low 4. At this point the water has less than 1 PPM on any thing dissolved in it. Addition of certain mineral salts and peat filtering bring the Total Dissolved Solids up to four ppm and stabilize the PH at 4.3-4.4.....this is acid enough to really burn on your hands if you have any abrasions at all. A decent RODI system will start at about 160-300 bucks, depending on flow rate. My system makes a gallon every 4-5 minutes or about 300 gallons a day. Water is the most important factor in keeping any fish species happy. Keeping fish from extreme conditions requires learning about how water is made and how to make it do what you want.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44889

• McDonald
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Danggggggg. Great looking fish you have there.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44890

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
+1 on that. :happy:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44937

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
Basset was is your starting KH and where it ends? Do you drive all the time at 0 to 1 with the permanent fear of an pH drop that turns your water into vinegar or do you add an KH+ sup liquid or powder to be on KH 2 to 4 for a save buffer?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Raising / Breeding Altum Angelfish 3 years 6 months ago #44938

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
He does not supplement his KH. Unnecessary when performing the type of water changes required for Altums. Even absent water changes, I question if the pH would drop much beyond where it is at.

You cannot drop the pH of orange juice by adding more orange juice.

The question to answer is how acidic is the bioacidification process? I don't think it is more acidic than his water already is.

EDIT: A little further research backs up my assumptions. The primary acidic produced by the multitude of bioacidifiation processes in our tanks is carbonic acid. I don't see carbonic acid taking the pH any lower than 4.6.... and bassetman is already lower than that. I think he is more at risk of a pH climb than a further pH drop.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds