Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 10 months ago #59820

• Reywas
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • I'm back and fishin!
  • Thank you received: 29
I would love to have a tank with both, but right now I can't have a 125g or a 55g or even a 10g. My family moves around a lot, and my parents have decided that 3 fish tanks is more than enough. Once I am on my own, I plan to give in big time to mts syndrome and this seemed like a beautiful pairing. Thanks!
20 gal 2 Angels, 3 Panda Corys, 2 Ghost Catfish
10 gal 5 Zebra Danios, 3 black neon tetras
10 gal 6 serpae, 2 otos
5 gal 1 betta
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 9 months ago #60373

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
Well things have gone south in a hurry in this tank.

About a month ago I gave my brother the #2 dominant fish. I suspected that it was a male because it was being hammered constantly by the alpha. He currently has #2 in his 125g and it's thriving. Unfortunately for him (my brother), the #2 whipped his dominant male T. pasiones the other night and we don't think he's going to make it.

The three remaining subdominants I believe to be all female. I know for sure two of them are females because I spotted the classic prominent black splotch in the dorsal fin. It comes and goes, but I know that the #3, and #4 are most likely female.

The runt unfortunately, is no more. He/she just couldn't hang with the group as they have all become much more agro in the past few months. He/she jumped from the tank and I found her upstairs in the dining room (cat obviously got a hold of it).

I think it was Monday that I found the runt dried up on the floor, and since then the alpha has gone berserk on the remaining two females. The first one I noticed right away that he was taking a special interest in, so I netted her out. The second one I didn't catch quite as quickly and I found her laying on her side waaay up in the floating plant mass that once was a really nice set of ludwigia repens, rotalia rotifundia, and vals. I thought she was dead, but she was just hiding. I went to net her out and she darted straight down under some cover, but clearly she needed to be moved out so I netted her too.

So right now its just the Apha a hole in the 46g. He's a gorgeous fish. Solid 5 inches at this point, and thick. Awesome colors and markings, but a huge PITA. I have a 75g waiting (infact I set it up a few weeks ago but it has a leak that I need to seal, or I just need to get a different tank, I haven't decided yet), just for him, and maybe one of the two females - breeding prospects are looking slim at this point though. I think he may be a true glass banger at some point.

We'll see I guess.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 9 months ago #60437

• bskelton0907
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
Sounds just like my herichthys carpintis "escondido". My carpintis is gonna be a true glass banger,hes a no tank mate fish like yours seems to be, i put my 4 inch firemouth in there and my 4 inch carpintis absolutely destroyed it by the morning,but I feel your pain man, i was wanting to breed mine but seems like i wont be able too
135 gallon(Albino Oscar,Firemouth, 5 Silver Dollars )

2 emporer 400's

Fx5

Eheim 2217

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 9 months ago #60460

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Yeah he's probably just on the verge of becoming sexually mature so hopefully this is as bad as it gets, but we'll have to see. I think a larger tank will help with the aggression for my guy.

Unfortunately though I lost the #3 female. She was the one that I netted from the tank second, and he had really beaten her badly. Worse than I had originally thought and she passed saturday night sometime. So I only have my male, and the #4 alleged female. She's quite small compared to him too so even if I do attempt a breeding trial it won't be until she puts on a little size.

Guys I really apologize for the lack of pictures. I have a national board examination this week and then I'm on call, then it's the holidays and hopefully after that things will calm down around my house a little and I can snap some crappy pics. I'll get to it at some point here, I promise.

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #60720

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
75g tank, Marineland C360, Current USA Sat+ LED light, 1 H. carpintis 'chairel', 8 buenos aires tetras, 1 BN plec.

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #60723

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
Wow! Those are some fantastic photos of a beautiful setup and great-looking carpintis. :happy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ~rush~

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #60726

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 406
That's an very nice setup rush, easy and classic CA Layout. I did for some weeks an aqua scaping Workshop and there they said it becomes even more natural if you would place some smaller pebbles around the center stone while you get smaller in grain size from in to outside. They do this to brake up larger areas of substrate.

Thanks to all this topics i also decided to try an bigger central american :)
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #60728

• bskelton0907
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
Now thats a carpintis
135 gallon(Albino Oscar,Firemouth, 5 Silver Dollars )

2 emporer 400's

Fx5

Eheim 2217

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #60730

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thanks guys. There are still a bunch of changes I want to make but I'm happy to have this guy in a 75g finally. He's not out and about as much which is why I got the Buenos aires tetras. The seem to be helping a lot. I currently have a female H. carpintis 'chairel' in there as well, but I'm still not convinced its going to last. She hides quite a bit.

I'm not sold on the substrate as of yet. I love that it's practical, but it's a lot lighter than the last tank he was in, and his base color has lightened up a lot. I preferred when he looked a tad darker. I still need an additional HOB, and I'm going to spray the back of the tank black. And I'd also like to build a legitimate stand/canopy. Once all that is done I'll be satisfied. For a little while anyway. :)

Herichthys carpintis 'Chairel' UPDATE 5/7 1 year 8 months ago #61118

• jaws7777
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 28
~rush~ wrote:
75g tank, Marineland C360, Current USA Sat+ LED light, 1 H. carpintis 'chairel', 8 buenos aires tetras, 1 BN plec.

The blues on that fish are amazing
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds