Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DIY Fish food

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69795

• AquaNut
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
So i would like to make my own fish food, I would like to make a batch of both gel and flake or crumble if possible, I'm not sure if a crumble is made by applying a thicker layer when making a flake. I have quite a few different things I planned on using in these foods here is what I was thinking:
Wild caught salmon fillets, tilapia fillets
Spirulina
Spinach
carrots
de-shelled peas
garlic
paprika
cayenne pepper
seachem nourish vitamins
possibly egg or corn starch to help bind it

I am just wondering if anyone has made their own food like this, if so would you like to share your wisdom with us? I have tried to make some gel food before but let's just say it didn't turn out so well. I would really like to get it right this time so any help would be awesome if it turns out I would like to film this whole process so others could try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aqua Nut on YouTube
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69800

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
I make from time to time my own fish food but it depends on the fish i want to feed while the Basic receipt is the same.

The start for fry of any fish and up to adult fish in the 1 to 2 inch region is preshelled artemia shrimp. Depending on fry numbers and species a knife tip to a 1/3 tea spoon soaked in a shot glass with a bit of water for a couple of minutes.

Fry and small to mid size cichlids and all kind of Catfish and plecos.

Unspiced frutti di mare mix (Shrimp, squid and mussles) blendend to 90% into mush, fiber part is mostly 30 to 40% fresh stinging nettles quick watered in hot but not boiling water and also mushed.
Than mixing both with a bit of regular liquid Vitamins for birds or rodents (they are the same).
Than tie it with Agar agar.

Importent is if you want floating food mix it and chill it down whole still air is inside the mix.
If you want sinking food you have to avoid to mix air into the Mix.
Kind of with pancakes and sparkling water.

For the big guys like Astronotus it's basicly the same mix but the food has than way more structure left, just a couple of short blends to make it more compact.

What you have to admit in your Video is that a good mix in feeding is most likley way more important as making or buying "the best food." Switch regular from syntetic to frozen to fresh with one or two starving days per week. A good pellet than DIY frozen food than freeze dry like krill or gammarus, fresh like a nice fresh shrimp or fresh fruit like berrys, orange, cherry tomato and so on.
If you feed like this you most likley will never have problems with your fish avoiding food because they are not used to it.

As for regular aquarium fish like livebearers as example, this fish nearly eat anything but 90% of people still stay with flakes. Just try a slice of orange without skin or a slice of a straw or wild berry or a half cherry tomato a piece of leaf of your salad.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AquaNut

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69803

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
Below are the "supplements" I add to gel based food products (Dr. Tim's). The design of these supplements is to counteract the negative effects of Nitrate exposure via diet. Does it work? No idea, no real way of testing. But I've stuck with it for over a year. and there was hundreds of hours of research involved in identifying the suggested supplements.

The same supplementation should enhance any color of fish.

Detox Formula: To be dosed one Gel Cube in the morning, absent other foods, hopefully on an empty stomach, You'll need to add a couple of tablespoons more of water to this mix to get it right. The Bentonite Clay really thickens it up. Be sure to stir the mix very well before adding water.

Antarctic Krill Powder - 2 tablespoons
Freeze Dried Garlic Powder- 2 grams
N-acetylcysteine - 0.031 grams
Milk Thistle - 1 gram
Bentonite Montmorillonite Clay - 8 Grams
Spirulina Powder - 1 gram

Antioxidant Formula: - To be dosed 1 cube per day, with or without other foods
Antarctic Krill Powder - 2 tablespoons
Freeze Dried Garlic Powder - 1 grams
Spirulina Powder - 500 mg
Asaxanthin - 27 mg
Chlorella Algae Power -500 mg

Antioxidant Booster - To be dosed 1 cube per day, with or without other foods
Antarctic Krill Powder - 3 tablespoons
Freeze Dried Garlic Powder - 500 mg
Spirulina Powder - 500 mg
Chlorella Algae Powder: 500 mg
Curcumin (Turmeric Extract) - 3 grams
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69804

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
A few weeks ago I made my own cubes for my ~11" Oscar. I use Dr. Tim's gel cube tray to form the food. The cubes float and maintain good consistency in the water when fed frozen. However, the cubes have poor consistency when thawed. I believe I didn't add enough agar to the mixture to maintain the requisite consistency when thawed. I'm going to increase the amount of agar in my next batch in hopes that I can thaw them before feeding. Below is the recipe I used to make 61 cubes:
  • (3) romain lettuce leaves
  • (2) stalks of kale
  • (6) spinach leaves
  • The above was blended with a little (unmeasured) tap water -- I added just enough water to facilitate it blending well in my blender
  • Dr. Tim's Seaweed – 2g
  • Spirulina – 2g
  • Chlorella – 2g
  • Antarctic Krill Powder – 1g -- I ground up freeze dried krill to make this powder
  • Garlic Powder – 1g
  • Bentonite Montmorillonite Clay – 1g
  • Dried Peas – 1g
  • Astaxanthin – 300mg
  • Milk Thistle – 150mg
  • 1/16 cup boiling water mixed with 1/16 tsp agar
  • Placed in freezer
Next Batch....
  • Use 12 spinach leaves
  • I will boil 1/2 cup water with 1.5 tsp agar dissolved into it. I'll use 1/16 - 1/8 cup of this water when mixing the batter prior to placing into the cube tray

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69977

• AquaNut
Wow you guys gave me a lot to think about, I have been searching for some of the ingredients to all mentioned and some of that stuff is pretty hard to find. The cube tray that comes with gelatin is pretty cool and may be a good investment if I will be making food like this quite often. Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes with us.
Aqua Nut on YouTube

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69978

• AquaNut
This is a serious recipe Kmuda and I would love to try to make this at some point. Have you ever added any kelp powder to any of your batches? Do you think kelp would help work as a binder?
Aqua Nut on YouTube

DIY Fish food 1 year 8 months ago #69979

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
Some of these things you might be able to find in a health food store. I recognize Bentonite Montmorillonite Clay from my local health food store, also agar.
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

DIY Fish food 1 year 7 months ago #70022

• AquaNut
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
Some of these things you might be able to find in a health food store. I recognize Bentonite Montmorillonite Clay from my local health food store, also agar.
Thanks for the advice, I had no clue where to get that stuff
Aqua Nut on YouTube

DIY Fish food 1 year 7 months ago #70023

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
AquaNut wrote:
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I had no clue where to get that stuff

Amazon....they have everything.
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds