Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Super Cheep Water Conditoner

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66659

• ohern4ever
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
Everyone will probably get sick of my gushing about the King of DIY but I find his Youtube channel endlessly fascinating, Every Sunday he posts a DIY video. The video a few weeks ago I thought was very interesting and something good to share in case folks were not aware of it. I am not clear if this will do anything to Chloramine if you have that coming out of the tap.

Very Cheap Chlorine Removal

A quick check on Amazon has has 500 grams ofSodium Thiosulfate going for about $6
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66660

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
This really works? What are the benefits of using Prime over this?

Jessica

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66665

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
JAJameson2010 wrote:
This really works? What are the benefits of using Prime over this?

Prime works with chloramine and chlorine. Prime detoxifies ammonia for up to 48 hours, which is good for folks with chloramine. Prime will prevent nitrite poisoning due to the salts in it. Prime will reduce the toxicity of heavy metals that maybe in the water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAJameson2010

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66666

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
So I have to see if I have chloramine in my water and heavy metals, before switching. Thanks!

Jessica

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66667

• ohern4ever
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
Yep it works from everything I could find. It's not like Prime though. Prime outside of smelling like rotten eggs , does lot more than detoxify chlorine from your water, it also can detoxify ammonia and chloramines. I am not sure yet if the of sodium thiosulfate can detoxify chloramines however.

This actually bring up a practical question I have. If you have trace ammonia out of the tap. assuming your tank was not overstocked to begin with. Could you use the sodium thiosulfate to dechloinate the water, and then just allow the tank's cycle to eat up the trace ammonia?

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66668

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
I know just enough to get myself in trouble, but I thought even the tiniest bit of ammonia was harmful? Could be way wrong...

Jessica

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66670

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
The biofilter will eventually take care of the ammonia. Sodium thiosulfate will break the clorine ammonia bond and remove the chlorine, but will leave free ammonia I it's toxic form. Prime converts the free ammonia into it's nontoxic form (ammonium). Ammonium remains available to the nitrifying bacteria but is much less toxic to fish.

You don't want to leave non ionized ammonia in the tank. The reoccurring spikes following each water change are serious stressors, leading to other issues.

If.you don't have ammonia in your tap water you don't have to worry about it. Raw sodium thiosulfate will get it done. However, the other imprtant aspect is the binding of heavy metals. Raw sodium thiosulfate will do nothing to heavy metals. Chances are your tap water contains some.measure of everything from aluminum to arsenic. You want a water conditioner that handles these things.

The.most economical dechlorinator / heavy metal binder is API Tap Water Conditioner. This is all it does.... these two things.... but that's all 70% of us need.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66671

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kmuda! Nice and understandable :)

Jessica

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66674

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
ohern4ever wrote:
This actually bring up a practical question I have. If you have trace ammonia out of the tap. assuming your tank was not overstocked to begin with. Could you use the sodium thiosulfate to dechloinate the water, and then just allow the tank's cycle to eat up the trace ammonia?

If you have any amount of ammonia strait from the tap then your water contains chloramines and you should use Prime or Safe. Many treatment plants report chloramine as chlorine or bound chlorine and some don't report the use of chloramine at all. The only way to know for sure if your water contains chloramine is to test for ammonia strait from the tap.

To be safe, I would suggest everyone assume their water contains chloramine. Then, test your tap water for ammonia with a kit like the API master kit. After waiting 5 minutes, if the color in the test tube matches zero on the color chart, then your water does not contain chloramine.

Super Cheep Water Conditoner 2 years 1 month ago #66688

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
ohern4ever wrote:
Everyone will probably get sick of my gushing about the King of DIY but I find his Youtube channel endlessly fascinating, Every Sunday he posts a DIY video. The video a few weeks ago I thought was very interesting and something good to share in case folks were not aware of it. I am not clear if this will do anything to Chloramine if you have that coming out of the tap.

Very Cheap Chlorine Removal

A quick check on Amazon has has 500 grams ofSodium Thiosulfate going for about $6

That whole youtube channel is addictive!!!! I may have just ordered some supplies to try and turn our hard piped water change system into a drip/drain system.... lol and be considering to go back to bare bottom tanks again

Jessica
  • Page:
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds