Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glass Lid alternatives?

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63417

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Out of the 4 glass lids on both 90 gallon tanks, only 2 have survived. I have cracked 2 of them. I can't even blame the fish! Before I just go buy more light filtering, is there a more durable cheap option?

Jessica
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63419

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
polycarbonate roof panels, I see these used on greenhouses sometimes. I found mine at Home Depot. I use this on my aquariums, light weight and durable, about $30 CAN for an 8ftx26in sheet.. It does bow in larger chunks though, my 125 has had this as a lid (60"x18" sheet) and this tank doesn't have a middle brace, so it bows slightly in the middle, but is held up by a divider anyways. If you have braces you'll be fine. I use this on my 55g as well and have no issues with bowing because its braced. These panels work great for lids, as long as you don't have heavy fish that like to jump..
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63421

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
MarshyMellowFluff wrote:
polycarbonate roof panels, I see these used on greenhouses sometimes. I found mine at Home Depot. I use this on my aquariums, light weight and durable, about $30 CAN for an 8ftx26in sheet.. It does bow in larger chunks though, my 125 has had this as a lid (60"x18" sheet) and this tank doesn't have a middle brace, so it bows slightly in the middle, but is held up by a divider anyways. If you have braces you'll be fine. I use this on my 55g as well and have no issues with bowing because its braced. These panels work great for lids, as long as you don't have heavy fish that like to jump..

Thanks! I'll check that out on my Home Depot jaunt. I have evil cats and large fish. The Oscars aren't usually jumpers, but I'm a bit paranoid!

Jessica

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63423

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
Yes, glass lids have pretty much worn out their welcome in my house. I tend to use the Marineland Plastic Recessed Hoods as they have a more universal fit. A 90 gallon can be a hard tank to find a match for though.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAJameson2010

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63424

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
I have two 7" O's in my 125G, the Tiger O LOVES jumping and hitting the water droplets on the top, it holds him in though. I'm confident that he can't get out. However, if he was a couple inches larger I don't know how confident I would be with it holding the way it is. I've heard of people weighing down their glass lids and wonder if the same could be done somehow with these lids?

These lids are great because they are light weight, durable, and IMO they are inexpensive. I have a glass lid for my 55G and choose to run these instead because they are easier. They can even make feeding easier because its easier to get the top off or lift a corner.

This is where I got the idea from:

This guy is seriously awesome!
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63426

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Well now I want to know what's in that tank!!!!!! If I can find some additional braces I think I will try this stuff. I just need to put good faith effort into making sure the cat won't fall through. :roflmao:

Jessica

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63427

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kmuda! Good to know I'm not the only person who should not be allowed to have glass lids.

Jessica

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63430

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
90g's should have the same footprint as a 75g (48"x18"), so aqueon or marineland tops are readily available. They are a pain though, I agree. The versa-tops on my 75g are chipped in the corners and I almost had a catastrophe a few weeks ago. I didn't have a good grip on one of the tops and it crashed to the bottom of my partially full 75g, corner first. Thankfully the gravel and nearby driftwood softened the blow and it didn't land on my oscar or sev. I couldn't imagine the tempered bottom of a tank blowing out all at once. :scared9:

A fellow in my local aquarium club buys these hollow plastic greenhouse panels and cuts them to fit as tops. They look nice but have the potential of getting moisture in them.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63431

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
FreshyFesh wrote:
90g's should have the same footprint as a 75g (48"x18"), so aqueon or marineland tops are readily available. They are a pain though, I agree. The versa-tops on my 75g are chipped in the corners and I almost had a catastrophe a few weeks ago. I didn't have a good grip on one of the tops and it crashed to the bottom of my partially full 75g, corner first. Thankfully the gravel and nearby driftwood softened the blow and it didn't land on my oscar or sev. I couldn't imagine the tempered bottom of a tank blowing out all at once. :scared9:

A fellow in my local aquarium club buys these hollow plastic greenhouse panels and cuts them to fit as tops. They look nice but have the potential of getting moisture in them.

A bottom blow out would be horrifying! I found some bracing that is designed for the plastic roofing.

www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-24-in-Univers...d=-1&catalogId=10053

I may try these with the

www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-in-x-6-ft-...ear-155030/206166246

and maybe these for the ends if I want to really get fancy

www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-24-in-Horizon...Pack-92770/100067957

Jessica

Glass Lid alternatives? 2 years 8 months ago #63433

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
if you have a lip for you glass lids to sit then the poly. roof panels should sit just fine in that lip too. When I wake my fish up I'll get a video of my lids and post it here.
  • Page:
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds