Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63271

• Pixile
  • Poecilia reticulata
HI! I am new to site and I am looking into building a wall tank in my home. I am wanting it to be pretty big for my Oscars, Bingo (Tiger) and Gringo (Lutino). I am thinking that I want it to be 5' long and about 3-4' tall and about 2' wide, it should be close to 300 gallons. I am in Arkansas so pricing this is not going well for me as this is my first DIY tank LOL. Any help would be appriecated on pricing or where to order from. Thanks in Advance for all your help!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63273

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
A tank of what you are thinking would be outrageous expensive. The taller you go the thicker the glass or acrylic. Mega dollars. You also have to consider how to get to the bottom for cleaning. 3ft difficult. 4ft impossible, unless you have an NBA center wingspan. To be honest, the best tank for you would be a standard 6x2x2 180g. New with warranty. Something in the $800 range.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pixile

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63275

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 444
Hello

150 x 60cm = 0.9 square Meters that is around 9.6 square feet if I am right. If you want really 3 to 4 feet hight so Lets say 100 cm this would without the weight of the stand, tank, Layout about 900 Liters or close to 2000 pounds on an very small footprint. I doubt this will work even with an reinforced floor, only on an solid one. Also 3 to 4 feet tanks are a pain to maintain until you are 6.5 feet tall and have orang utan arms.

If you want this tank volume i would recommend to go longer and deeper, like 8 x 3 x 2 feet.

So wht do you prefer? Glass, acrylic, playwood tank or a Mix out of two? Is the wall behind solid or is there another room behind the tank that can be used to place eqipment there?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63276

• Pixile
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank you for the help so far LOL. I don't really have a preference to glass or acrylic. I do have a room behind it that would serve as the feeding room and equipment storage, size really isn't a big deal except in length the place I do want to build is only about 6' so I am trying to get max gallons for them. I don't care if sides are visible or back side I really only care if front is viewable. Like I stated this is a thought process right now and I am still making decisions on what I want to use and everything so all advice and ideas are welcome!!!

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63277

• Pixile
  • Poecilia reticulata
I do want to get at least 150 gallons as I do want to add 2 larger Plecos

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63278

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Footprint is more important than volume. If you stay at 5ft, there is a 5x2x2 150g tank made by Glasscages. This would be the bare minimum for 2 Oscars. 2 large plecos will more than double the bioload and you will struggle to maintain water quality. I have a large Oscar and pleco in a 6ft tank. Excessive filtration. I need to do a 75% water change every 3-5 days to keep water the way I like it, with nitrate around 10ppm. 2 Oscars and 2 plecos would be virtually unmanageable in less than 250gals. I urge you to rethink the pleco idea.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63279

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
If there is space that can be used behind the tank you can do an deeper tank with standart 2 feet hight so you are fine with 10 to 12 mm Glass. If possible make a 5 x 4 x 2 tank. Great deep will look very good and will allow your Oscars to move more as the usual 2 feet what is most likley not even 2 fish lengths. Than on a head side a sump tank at the same hight as the main tank what will make it very low energy consuming with high powered pumps.

Or do an 5 x 4 x 2 tank and take 8 inches of the whole deep so you have around 50 Gallons of Filter Volumen seperated in 4 cambers.

But the tank will be custom and have to be glued in place because such big tanks don't fit through Doors.

So are you ok for going custom? Do you have an aqurium builder around?

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63280

• Pixile
  • Poecilia reticulata
The Plecos can be left LOL just want to make my Oscars happy with room and such as they seem to be paired of as a couple.

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63281

• Pixile
  • Poecilia reticulata
My husband and I are looking to do this entirely ourselves and of course it will be thoroughly tested before fish are even changed to new tank. We are going to do this when we remodel the living room so its still a few months off before we even start. I am just trying to make sure I am prepared to start this project and not get half way into it to discover it isn't feasible.

Cost effectiveness of DIY 100+ Gallon tank 2 years 5 months ago #63282

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Glueing, sealing and drilling tanks is basicly no witch craft but you should know what you are doing. If you two are unfamiliar with this in this size regions i would recommend to contract an professionelle or maybe look for an fish tank Club or aquarium society in your near where you often will find help and advice.

What also is impotent to know is permanent special builds like this lowers commenly the property value. If there are still questions i think you are welcome around here.
  • Page:
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds