Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hard piped water changing system

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62581

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
It's almost ready! We were able to drain a tiny bit and refill, so we know it works. I was forbidden to actually do a water change until he adds a brace to the drain. Hopefully, later today I will have a video of draining and refilling. Until then we have pictures!

This is where I was getting a lecture about needing to switch to snakes since they don't require water...

The top of the shelf underneath. I'll be organizing all these wires this weekend!

Gary was complaining yesterday that he might just rip all this out and redo everything since it's so ridiculous looking! The pump for the drain is at the bottom. There is supposed to be a valve to turn somewhere since it's not a self-priming pump.

Sorry about the reflection. But you can see the pipe running down the back corner with mesh at the end. That's for the drain/pump. The gold fish have another week until they move outside into their spring/summer barrels :)

Bozo has already pulled his mesh down off the pipe.... Will fix that today when I drain his tank down.

The refilling system. I hope to eventually move that to the back of the tank. Gary stopped listening to me after he got the drain part finished. :confused:

I'm excited to try and use it today!!!!!

Jessica
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62586

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
Exciting stuff. It's nice to have a better half who is handy with such things. I wish my wife could do that kind of work. :mrgreen:

No offense to anyone, this is intended as a tremendous compliment, but that is one hell of a monument to Redneck Engineering. I love the sink "sans" sink. :thumbs And where could he possibly have found that chrome piece that is connected to the sink "sans" sink. Simply brilliant.

Tell him snakes are not near as cool as fish and if you had snakes, he could not have spent all this time impressing you with his work. :thumbs:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62590

• jaws7777
  • Symphysodon discus
  • Thank you received: 28
Very very cool

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62594

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
He loved the redneck compliment! LOL All supplies are at the local Home Depot. Except the pump which was a Harbor Freight special.

Not too hard to use! Just turn on the pump priming value, open the correct pump line, plug the pump in, close the prime pump valve, and make sure the fish don't block the drain pipe. Bozo needed to be netted and held into a time out corner. He blocked the suction twice.

For the refilling only needing to open the correct top valve and turning the sink handles.

I tried to get a video but learning which steps to do when was more important tonight! I'll do the second tank tomorrow and try to get a short video of turning everything on.

Refilling takes longer since the tie in is further from the main water entry of the house, but it's so much easier to do only one tank at a time. Our water heater can really only do 1 tank at a time. Two was always a stretch and a prayer.

Oh I'm so excited! He really is good about going along with my hair brained schemes....

Jessica

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62599

• kmuda
  • Admin
You should be able to leave the sink handles in position, only needing to open and close the supporting valve. This would allow you to tune in the correct temp and not have to seek it each water change.

You should also be able to pick up an "on/off" switch at home depot that would prevent the need to plug and unplug your pump. Plug the pump into the switch and then it just becomes a matter of turning it one and off.

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62601

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
I was thinking about the on off switch, but I fear a cat turning on the pump while we are gone. Although if we transfer that fear, it also means they could cut power to the whole tanks via the power strips... I may go buy that switch!

Leaving the water on? You are braver than I! LOL Murphy lives in my spare bedroom and I fear a giant flood near all that electrical wiring. Luckily turning both faucets on full force seems to get me 75 degrees. Doesn't work that way on any of the other sinks...

Jessica

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62602

• kmuda
  • Admin
JAJameson2010 wrote:
Leaving the water on? You are braver than I! LOL Murphy lives in my spare bedroom and I fear a giant flood near all that electrical wiring. Luckily turning both faucets on full force seems to get me 75 degrees. Doesn't work that way on any of the other sinks...

You have less faith in the redneck engineering and implementation capability of Gary than I do. It will hold, until it doesn't. :think:

While I don't know Gary, anyone who undertook such a thing has likely taken every precaution. If I had to hazard a guess, the only way to get everything loose again is with a sledgehammer and a saw..... or possibly a hand grenade. :roflmao:

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62607

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
LOL you are probably very correct. I do see lots of glue on each and every fitting! Hand grenade might do it... Maybe in a month or so I'll feel comfortable leaving the water on.

Jessica

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62614

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
I have videos of today's water change. I am sorry that they look like a drunk person. They make me dizzy to watch! Apparently I am really bad at recording while trying to complete tasks.

Draining

Refilling

Jessica

Hard piped water changing system 2 years 6 months ago #62643

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds