Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Very simple Auto Water changing systems?

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60951

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
What if, we were able to rig up some PVC contraption that would place water at the bottom of the 90 gallon tank via a pipe. (possibly piped in from underneath the kitchen sink) Then we had another pipe facing upward to act as a drain for the overflow water. That would basically be an auto changing water system, right?

Seems simple enough in my head. I'm sure the BF will balk and there will be some disastrous logistics he will have to work though. :roflmao:

How do I prime the water and remove the chlorine continuously? If I do ever get this on a tank I would want it do whole water changes every week if not more often with the bioload I sometimes have. (I winter the summer rain barrel goldfish inside in the oscar tanks. They are too big to be food) The flow of the water change speed would be controlled by a spigot on the incoming water tube at the bottom of the tank.

I'm just trying to halfway map this out in my head before I verbalize this potential project :)

Jessica
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60952

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
If you want an Auto water change you should go by a dripping system. Here an constant flow of water drops flow into the tank, at the other hand a sewage connection is needed so that the water that gets replaced gets out of the tank.

While you only change very slowly but steady water you should not need conditioner and the heat lose is also minimal and can be adjusted with the regular tank herer. It depends on bio load and tank size but basicly you are good by replacing 10 to 15% of water Volumen per day so that would be an 70 to 105% WC per week.

The most easy solution are watering Systems for Garden plants, here mostly anything is already included tut you need. Here in europe the Brand to go with is Gardena, for the US i don't know if it would be avaible.

An 100 G as example, here you want to replace 10 Gallons per day, so 0.41 Gallons per hour or 0.0068 G per minute that would drop bit by bit into your tank.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60953

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks! I didn't even think of looking at gardening systems for plants. Was just planning on the hardware store and piecing it together ourselves.

Ideally I would like the output to go into the backyard, but I think the sewer drain will be the easiest. :( Which is going to skyrocket my sewer costs, but then I wouldn't have to do water changes... hmm... decisions!

Jessica

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60954

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Just saw the math added! I could kiss you! Thanks so much!

Jessica

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60956

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
You just need an simple overflow at the highest point at your water level, so an overfilling becomes impossible, for the old water, it depends if you have the chance to just let it drop into the garden, an constant water flow also only drops can make your Garden bottom an mud pit and can destory walls.

If you can connection it via gravity to maybe an rain water barrel and use it regular on your plants it would be ok. With just using the swear you are right, it would be the most easy way.

BUT you mostly have to drill your tank. Maybe an overflow Box would also work but i only know it with drilled tanks.

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60957

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Now I'm scared to drill the tank! I was hoping to rig an overflow another way... How easy is it to drill the tank at the top? Do I have to remove all water and fish?

Jessica

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60958

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Jessica, this was just an example. An 100 Gallon tank do not hold 100 Gallons of water. Here an example of the tank i bought right now. Its 200 x 50 x 50 cm and 500 Liters 132 US Gallons.

20 x 5 x 5 = 500

But it has 12 mm Glass at the bottom and 10 on the side and the bracing also not allows a filling to the very top so on an 50 cm high tank you only can use about 47 cm bare bottom. So our real pure volume is

19.8 x 4.8 x 4.8 = 491 - the volume of the bottom plate what is around 3 Liters so the real pure volume of this tank is not 500 but 488 Liters.

Than Substrat. 1 Inch or let say 25 mm of sand so 20 x 5 x 0.25 is another 25 Liters of Volumen gone so an 500 Liter tank has effective 463 Liters.

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60959

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
You have to drill it at the bottom or on a side. A side hole can be done in a running tank what is would still not recommend, the bottom solution need an empty tank.

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60961

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmm.... I guess I have a lot more research to do. We might end up drilling.... Could always put the fish into a rubber tub container for a day while silicone dries.

It makes sense that the tank doesn't contain 100% capacity. I'm still using bare bottom so that helps a little bit.

I may have to kick this idea around in my head for a while to plan this all out. Overflow boxes sound appealing, but could be disastrous if they fail which seems to be an easy thing to happen!

Jessica

Very simple Auto Water changing systems? 2 years 11 months ago #60962

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Changing an already running setup is always something that comes into your mind. I try to keep my tanks as simple and low maintaince as possible even i have also ideas about ideas.

A idea like yours is at best always made in the Installation of an new setup, maybe you can do an Upgrade ;), for Drilling glass i do not recommend to do it by yourself while its an tricky thing. I learned it as i did this for a living in a Job and it needed a couple of dozen trainimg lessons to cut free at hand glass clean without chipping or cracking.

For an overflow i also would recommend a hole in a side or in the tank back because its the saver Version. If the tank leaks from the bottom you have to empty it whole, if you have the leaking bulkhead at an side its enough to lower the water level a couple of inches and fix this.

Well anything has his advantages and downs.

Another option would be an semi automatic waterchange. Here you need and hole at the bottom or side with an Ball valve, just open the valve will empty the tank by gravity, as bigger the hole so faster the flow so that you could empty several hundred Gallons in a couple of minutes. Filling is than just regular with hose.
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds