Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pimped out 75 gal

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60744

• hmt321
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
My bluegill that was bout 9 years old passed away a few weeks ago. My 12 year old son wanted me to get an Oscar, i thought i would take the opportunity to drill and plumb the tank and add a background.

I have used this in the past with good result in planted tanks, so i thought i would do it again.

www.lowes.com/pd_354383-93840-20-626_1z0...oductId=3362742&pl=1

For my 75 gal i needed 3 boxes of tile, i bought four just in case. (I'll bring the 4th box back if i do not need it)

I rented a ceramic wet saw for 4 hours, and made my end cuts, the stone tile lays out to where if i jamb it as high up as i can, there is about 5/8" clearance at the bottom.

here is a picture:

I bought the tank some years ago drilled for a 1.5" overflow, i will use a drip system so i will use it, i typiclay drip aprox 20 gal of water into the tank per week, i have an inline charcoal filter to remove chlorine from the water (although i have heard that the chlorine from the drip my not be enough to mater)

I also drilled the tank for two 1" bulkheads

I ordered 2, 1" bulkheads from Marine depot, and an intake strainer.

I will use the old eheim 2028 pro II that i have had on the tank for years, i just need to get a new head gasket.

I have an old 300 watt inline heater that i will plumb into the out flow of the filter.

I have to drill the rock wall out so that the bulkhead flanges sit on the glass, i borrowed a 3.5" diamond bit to drill out the rock wall, and i ordered a 70mm diamond bit from amazon to drill out the rock wall for the two 1" bulkhead flanges.

i expect the bulkheads to get here later this week. ill take some pictures as i silicone the rock to the back of the aquarium.

I want to get as much of the pipes and stuff out of the tank as possible. has anyone ever seen a decent DIY way to stick a probe into the PVC intake?
I am thinking about coming out of the tank into a T and then drill out a cap, put the probe in the cap and seal with silicone, when the probe goes bad (they usually last about a year) just replace the cap) anyone have a better idea?

i have spent about $130.00 so far, i may not need the 4th box of stone tiles and can get about $25.00 back from it, this is not cheap, but most of the major expenses are done.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60747

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
nice!!!! really want to see it done! be a good tank for a single oscar,
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60758

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
Outstanding work. Bet that makes for a heavy and awkwardly balanced tank to move around. But you only have to move it once and the end result is certainly worth it. I've seen several artistically "handy" folks make Styrofoam backgrounds that look like rock, but that's the first actual rock (tile) background I've seen done.

What "probe" are you intending to place into the PVC?
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60773

• hmt321
Ok i was looking around at my office and i have another broken but fixable eheim 2028 filter that i could add to the 75 gal, that would have two of those bad boys running.

my bulkheads and projected plumbing are going to be 1", the ehiems are designed to use 5/8" hose. I know that the interior diameter of a 1" hose is larger than two 5/8" hoses. (area of 1" hose is .79", area of a 5/8" hose is .31") I know that i loose some flow due to friction, but i should loose more out of the 5/8" than the 1"

It appears that i should have enough flow with a 1" to do the job, any comments on that?

as for the probe, i will use just a cheap digital thermometer, with a wired probe. I am going to drill a hole in a PVC cap and silicone the probe down in the outflow of the tank (where it first leaves the tank headed to the filter, i think that will give me a better read than the return)

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60780

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
Your going to have to step down to 5/8 at some point to connect to the disconnects on the Eheim filter and that will be the bottleneck.... what controls the flow rate. I would be more worried about loosing prime on the siphon during the step down, although you think gravity would take care of that.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60801

• hmt321
I am going to make a 1" manifold (two actually, one will handle flow out of the tank, one will handle flow back to the tank), each filter will have a 5/8" outlet off the 1" manifold. One filter will not impede the flow from the other. I'll plumb the heaters (i ordered a second inline heater) between the outflow of the filter and the 1" manifold that returns back to the tank.

going to make a trip to hardware store this weekend, ill take a few pictures when i dry fit the plumbing together.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60879

• hmt321
I built the supply and return manifolds for the tank

The supply is on the top, it comes from the drilled bulkhead, i plumbed two 3/4" hose valves, so if i need to remove one of the filters for repair or swap out the connector, i can do so, the last hose bib is for a quick water change, i can slip the bulk head strainer out and slip a 90 with a pipe cut to the desired length to do a quick and easy water change. Ill run a hose from the bib to my drain.

The return is the bottom pipe, it also has 2 hose bibs for the filter returns, my 2 inline heaters will be plumbed between the filer return and the manifold hose bib (one one each filter). I may use the third hose bib to plumb a top off, or quick fill from my drip system

this is a photo of my drip system filter

The top is a charcoal filter, the bottom is a mechanical filter, it has a 5 micron filter, i am dripping about 20-15 gal per week into my other tanks, i will drip more in the oscar tank as it needs it.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60880

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60946

• hmt321
i drilled out the stone tonight and finished plumbing the supply and return.

here is a picture of the tank, i have the stone pieces outlined in sharpe and numbered. I gave them a good scrubbing to remove any dirt/dust so it will get good adhesion with the silicone. The stone is drying on the garage floor under the tank, i went ahead and installed the bulkheads.

here is a picture of the back ground on the floor

I am using a adjustable union to give me some play so the supply and return can hook up and not be under stress.

I found a 90 with a 1/2" screw in plug, i drilled a 1/4" hole in the end of the plug, ill put a thermometer probe and seal it with silicone. It will read the temp just as the water leaves the tank. The bluegill that was in this tank used to screw with the temp probe all the time, i have heard that oscars are bad about this as well. I also never liked seeing the wire in the water.

here is a picture of the two filters and the heaters, you can see the female end of the the supply and return.

here is a picture of the Long Eared Sunfish i have in the 55 gal adjacent to the tank stand (you can see one corner of the tank in the above picture). It is full of amazon swords in pots, that i need to re-home. this fish is about 8 years old, i netted him when he was about 3/4" long, he is a little less than 8" now

here is a old picture of the last resident of the 75 gal, I want to say he was just over a year old, i netted him and some others as feeders (about 1") for a warmouth, he did not get eaten.

I am going to silicone the background tomorrow afternoon after work, and hopefully fill the tank up sunday.

I will get what i need to build a glass lid tomorrow as well.

Ill post some pictures of this as well

Pimped out 75 gal 2 years 6 months ago #60969

• hmt321
I siliconed the background tonight.

here is the 1/2" plug i am using for the thermostat probe, filled with silicone, if it leaks ill try again with epoxy

Tank waiting to dry, with strainer, overflow 90, and 90 for the return all in place

I need to hunt down some driftwood, i have a piece just need to clean it up some
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds