Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Non-Permanent Background

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51406

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
  • Thank you received: 37
I've always wanted to paint an aquarium background before but I never did because I didn't like the idea of it being permanent, then I got a really great idea from my boyfriend using Plastidip on his truck. The thing I love about Plastidip is that if I decide I want to change the colour of my background, its as easy as grabbing a corner and peeling it off in one big sheet, no residue left behind and then it's ready for a new colour. I found plastidip at Canadian tire and basically anywhere that sold spray paint. Plus, it's almost impossible to mess up, you can seriously suck at spray painting and it should come out perfectly because of the way the plastidip works, when you spray it, it reacts with the oxygen and starts to bubble, this creates an even coat after drying.

Removal-

My Aquarium (Sorry for the bad photo and dirty aquarium :lol: )
125G - Two Oscars, X2 Emperor 400W, X2 Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, DIY LED Light.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51416

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
I had never heard of the stuff. Sounds like a good idea. Wonder if they have it in sky blue?

www.dipyourcar.com/Plasti-Dip-Sprays/
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51422

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
They recently added a ton of colours, hopefully they bring out more colours as the popularity of it grows, so far they only have one blue tone. I just love how easy it is. I'll try to get better pictures when I clean my aquarium today.

**However, I should have mentioned there is one Con to this product.. It can be expensive.. I usually buy it while it's on sale because regular price here in Canada is $19, where normal spray paint is about $10, so it is a little more expensive.** But then I follow your link and see them for $6.85 a can, so prices may vary greatly, and I also see they carry more then one blue tone on their website.
55G - One Oscar, Ehiem Jager Heater 200W, Emperor 400, Fluval 305, DIY LED Light.
10G- Otocinclus Catfish, Neon Tetras, Aquaclear 30, Aqueon Incandescent Strip Light,

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51479

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Have you tried it on a tank to confirm it peels as easy as you say? Kinda sounds too good to be true IMO.

I hear you though, it sounds like a nice option.

I had a nice sky blue one for some time. It was clear cellophane wrapping paper from the dollar store that I backed with dollar store aluminum foil. Looked great. Just had to be careful with the gear hanging off the back or you'd tear the ultra high quality foil.

My latest tank (new Tetra 55g) is using the background it came with, along with a black trash bag backer.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51531

• popss
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 801
I am using walls and windows. :snicker:
The name Oscar is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oscar is: Divine spear.

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51535

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Fluff, that's a heavy-duty looking tank stand you have there! A little rough for storage access though.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Non-Permanent Background 3 years 7 months ago #51543

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
I have not tested how it peels on an aquarium but I feel confident it would peel exactly like it does in the video, my boyfriends been using it on his truck for a year off and on and it peels just like it does in the video I've linked on my first post. What makes Plasti Dip different then your regular spray paint is that it is a synthetic rubber coating, and it bubbles to make an even coat. "Plasti Dip, manufactured by Plasti Dip International and sold under the Performix brand, is a multi-purpose synthetic rubber coating. It effectively protects treated items against moisture, abrasion, corrosion, and a host of other damaging factors."

My boyfriends says that when he first heard of plastidip, he thought it was too good to be true, so he did a lot of research on it around the web and then went out to try it himself, he now swears by it. He often gets asked if where he got his rims powder coated, only to surprize them when he tells them its plastidip. Not sure if these pictures will do any good to this thread but

The rims, grill, bumbers and molding is all plastidipped, and heres an older photo below with no plastidip.

@FreshyFesh, yes, I know super heavy duty, storage is in the back or my closet. :snicker:

Non-Permanent Background 2 years 8 months ago #63317

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
Just wanted to post a short video showing me peeling off a bit of PlastiDip that was on the trim. The nice thing about PlastiDip is that when you're peeling it off the trim, it doesn't peel off the glass too, and vice versa. It also peels off glass just as easy, if not easier, this is just a thinner overspray on the trim from doing the glass. PlastiDip also peels much better with both hands by the way, haha!

Non-Permanent Background 2 years 8 months ago #63319

• MarshyMellowFluff
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Just Keep Swimming!
This might be a better video.

Non-Permanent Background 2 years 8 months ago #63325

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 911
Like all 2000 model Dodge Rams, the Clear Coat just evaporated from the hood. I sanded it down and sprayed multiple coats of Black Plasti-Dip. Looks awesome, the black hood with the red truck. Aggressive, get the hell out of my way appearance. :thumbs:

120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
  • Page:
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds