Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 8 months 1 week ago #71617

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
For gods sake I will finish this tank stand build if it kills me.

Did a little more work today - cut all the trim and am currently thawing out the wood glue. Will glue and nail or staple trim down later today.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 8 months 1 week ago #71622

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Finished trimming the tank. I think the plan now is to poly the inside, and decide whether or not we are going to stain, or paint the stand. Doors will be next.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 4 weeks ago #71695

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I cut the doors out yesterday. As of right now they are 1/2 wider and taller than the gap in front. So they would sit on top of the face, or not flush. I'm contemplating cutting them down to fit inside and use trim to stop the doors from flailing inside. Haven't made up my mind just yet.

These are images of the insides of the doors just to show how I put them together. I used 1x6's glued them side by side, use a 1x3 as a bracket, glued that and then screwed the 1x6's to the brackets. Nothing fancy, but they should be solid, and should look decent with some trim and paint.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 4 weeks ago #71700

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Got a few more things done tonight. I ended up cutting the doors to fit inside the openings. I think I just like the flush look more. Seems more clean. So I cut down the doors, and ended up having to trim down some of the skin around the edges of the openings so the door hinges would fit the edges. Tomorrow I will trim down all of the doors a little more (some are too tight to open and close smoothly) just an eighth inch maybe, and then put the hinges on. Once I have the spots marked out, I'll take the hinges off and put the trim on. Then the knobs, and then paint. :)

Getting closer.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71738

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Alright. I took the doors and hinges off, and bought trim, cut to fit. Got the inside of the main doors done yesterday and I will hopefully get the side doors done tonight and size the doors (again) for the new inner dimensions. Probably mount the hinges Saturday and then get knobs and Velcro in place. Then it will be time for paint.

Pics - This might not be half bad looking.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71739

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Kudos to your detail amorousness on furniture.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71740

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thanks Toom. This is turning out half decent. Still quite a few errors, but I'm pretty happy so far with this build.

I finished trimming the side doors, and now I need to remeasure the openings and re fit the doors. I'll cut them down, and then mount hinges.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71746

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I trimmed up the rest of the stand last night and resized the doors. Ripped them down and put hinges on and mounted. This was probably the most frustrating process I've been through on this tank so far. The hinges I bought were small (mistake #1) and while they hold up the doors fine they just leave little room for error. Mounting the hinges to the inside of the trim was mistake #2, that also leaves virtually no room to move the hinges side to side to adjust for the door swing, because the width of the trim is 3/4 inch. Lastly, I didn't leave enough room for the hinges when I resized the doors so I'll have to rip one of the two doors down again by like 1/8 inch or they won't quite squeeze in together. It's just a big PITA man. Lol.

I'm thinking of leaving the side 'doors' just as panels that I can Velcro in. Pop them in or out when I need to get into the sides if I ever do and call it a day. I'm just really hating hinges that much right now. Lol.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71747

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Ok, doors are mounted. They are not even, and they aren't going to be, but I'm just going to have to live with it. The way I mounted the hinges just prevents me from being able to adjust how the doors swing in and out. It bugs me... to like no end, but I can't do anything about it short of ripping off the inner trim and buying new hinges and trimming in a different way. It pains me to say but I think I'm just going to move on for the sake of getting this thing up and off the ground. Next time around I'll think this through better.

I also mounted door stoppers I guess you can call them and put heavy duty Velcro on to hold the doors shut. I did this on the side panels as well. Those will simply be panels I can pop off and back on fastened in with the Velcro on the top and bottom stoppers. I don't anticipate being in and out of the sides a lot but it's a nice option to have if I need to get a different angle on something in the sump. Hopefully have time tonight to trim the doors themselves and then think about paint.

Resurrection! - Old thread- tank stand build 7 months 3 weeks ago #71752

• OliviaWatson
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Awesome!!! Good one :cheer: :)
Moderators: ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds