Crude protein (min.) 38%, crude fat (min.) 4%, crude fiber (max.) 1%, moisture (max.) 10%, crude ash (max.) 12%, phosphorus (min.) 0.9%
Hikari Beta Bio-Gold Ingredients:
White Fish Meal, Shrimp Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Flour, Alpha Starch, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Calcium Iodate, Manganese Sulfate, Magnesium Carbonate, Protease, Lysine, Methionine, Fish Oil, Carotene.
Hikari Beta Bio-Gold Ingredients Analysis
The primary ingredient is White Fish Meal. White Fish Meal is comprised of pollock, hoki, hake, blue whiting, and cod. With a protein content of between 60% and 65%, it is a higher quality product than generic fish meal.Being a Hikari produced fish meal; we can have confidence in the nutrient and protein levels of the meal. However, not being labeled as “Whole Fish Meal” identifies that the meal is potentially compiled from leftovers after the more desirable components of the fish are used for human consumption (pending clarification from Hikari).
As a secondary ingredient, Shrimp meal is a lower quality protein source than is fish meal.
The first two ingredients are preferred protein sources with the next four ingredients being non-preferred protein sources and fillers. There is confidence the primary protein content of this pellet is sufficient.
Brewers dried yeast is a waste product of the beer and ale industry. It is commonly added to fish feeds as a growth accelerator and source of vitamin B-complex. Studies do exist validating this use, although these studies do not account for long term use. Other studies exist indicating it can become toxic to the liver of some animals.
The “Bio” component of this Hikari Food is a mystery as no probiotics or prebiotics are list with the ingredients.
Fish oil can be either a beneficial ingredient or a hazardous one. Human grade fish oil collected from specific specifies of fish and screened for mercury will provide necessary omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as protein. Non-human grade fish oil may not be screened for mercury and originate from fish with reduced omega 3 and 6 content. However, the listing of fish oil as the next to last ingredient in this food minimizes its affects either way.
This food does not contain Ethoxyquin, Artificial Coloring Agents, or Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (synthetic vitamin K).
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 4 Star
Based upon preferred protein content alone, this would be a high level 3 star food. An obligation to award foods for not using controversial preservatives, artificial colors, or synthetic vitamin K results in a 4 star rating. Excessive use of non-preferred proteins and fillers prevents rating any higher.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus