|Crude Protein||45.5% min.|
|Crude Fat||5% min.|
|Crude Fiber||1% max.|
Nutrafin Max Sinking Complete Food Tablets Ingredients:
Fish Meal, Fish Protein Concentrate, Wheat Flour, Corn Meal, Oatmeal, Earthworm Meal, Wheat Gluten Meal, Soy Protein Concentrate, Squid Meal, Shrimp Meal, Fish Liver Meal, Soybean Flour, Dried Yeast, Salmon Oil (Ethoxyquin used as preservative), Squid Liver Meal, Dried Kelp, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Vitamins (Choleocalciferol, Biotin, D-calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin-5 Phosphate, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity)), Yeast Extract, Fructooligosaccharide, and Lecithin.
Nutrafin Sinking Complete Food Tablets Ingredients Analysis
The primary ingredient is fish meal. We have no way of measuring the quality and nutritional value of the meal being used as the source is unknown. As a result, the quality and subsequent nutritional values are questionable. Use of fish meal, instead of “whole fish meal” indicates the primary ingredients are fish processing leftovers (scales, skin, bones, and internal organs) deemed unsuitable for human consumption.
Fish Protein Concentrate, in theory, should be a higher quality ingredient than Fish Meal as it is manufactured from fresher source product under more hygienic conditions.
While Wheat Flour and Corn Meal are not desired ingredients (although sometimes necessary, meat proteins do not hold together well in a pellet without some type of binding agent), Oatmeal is an acceptable alternative protein source.
Earthworm meal is a preferred protein source. It accelerates growth, develops muscles, enables weight gain, covers protein and amino acid deficiency, improves sexual performance, and stimulates appetite.
With three preferred protein sources (fish meal, fish protein concentrate, and earthworm meal) listed within the first six ingredients, along with six additional preferred protein ingredients listed later, sufficient confidence exists in the preferred protein content of this food.
Salmon oil is preferred over standard “Fish Oil” as it is a known entity high in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. Unfortunately, the salmon oil utilized in this food is preserved with Ethoxyquin, indicating it is made for the pet industry, not human grade.
The only preferred plant protein source is dried kelp meal. As the 16th listed ingredient, it is located too far down in the ingredient list to add much nutritional benefit to this food.
The listing of vitamin supplements is acceptable.
Fuctooligosaccharides (FOS), a prebiotic, are plant sugars that occur in a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and cereals. They are produced commercially by partial hydrolysis of chicory inulin (an oligosaccharide found in chicory root), or from sucrose (sugar) using an enzymatic process. In addition to improving the digestibility of various food components, FOS may also improve absorption of dietary calcium, iron, and other important minerals.
While this food does not contain artificial colors, it does contain Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (synthetic vitamin K)and Ethoxyquin, at least, to preserve the Salmon Oil. It is less clear if additional Ethoxyquin is contained within the meal products utilzed.
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 3 Stars
The rating could possibly be increased if the quality of the fish meals in use could be confirmed. This, along with use of Ethoxyquin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, and potentially artificial colors, combined with the virtual absence of preferred plant proteins, prevents a rating any higher. Use of Earthworm Meal, prebiotics, and the preferred protein content certainly justify a 3 star rating.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus