|Crude Protein||41.0% min|
|Crude Fat||4.0% min|
|Crude Fiber||6.0% max|
OSI Spirulina Aquarium Flake Food Ingredients:
Fish Meal, Spirulina, Wheat Flour, Shrimp Meal, Fish Protein Concentrate, Torula Dried Yeast, Brine Shrimp, Carotene, Fish Oil, Garlic, Lecithin, Vitamin A Palmitate, DL-Tocopherol Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Thiamin Mononitrate, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Inositol, Niacinamide, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Red 3, Yellow 5, Ethoxyquin (as an antioxidant).
OSI Spirulina Aquarium Flake Food Ingredients Analysis
The primary ingredient is fish meal. Fish meal is comprised of the leftovers (scales, skin, bones, internal organs) deemed unsuitable for human consumption. We have no way of measuring the quality of the meal being used as the source OSI uses for fish meal is unknown. As a result, the quality, subsequent nutritional value, and protein content, are questionable.
Spirulina is sometimes called "The Most Nutritious Food on the Planet". Rich in raw protein and seven major vitamins: A1, B1, B2, B6, B12 (one of the best natural sources for B12, although the bioavailability of its B12 is in dispute by many researchers), C and E. It naturally contains beta-carotene, color enhancing pigments, and a whole range of minerals. In addition, Spirulina has 62% amino acid content and contains all essential fatty acids and eight amino acids required for complete nutrition. It is easily digested due to the fact that Spirulina cells do not have cellulose walls. Spirulina is only available in a dry form, so regardless of how it is listed on the ingredient label (spirulina meal, dried spirulina, or spirulina), it's ordering in the ingredient list should be accurate.
As a general statement, shrimp meal is a lower quality product than is fish meal.
There are seven preferred proteins listed in the first 10 ingredients vs. two non-preferred protein choices with each of the preferred protein sources listed at their dry weight, providing sufficient confidence in the overall preferred protein content of this flake food.
Fish oil can be either a beneficial ingredient or a hazardous one. Human grade fish oil collected from specific specifies of fish and screened for mercury will provide necessary omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as protein. Non-human grade fish oil may not be screened for mercury and originate from fish with reduced omega 3 content.
This flake food contains each of the three least desired ingredients in fish food. Ethoxyquin, “artificial colors”, and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (synthetic vitamin K. )
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 2 Star
Based up preferred protein content, this could be a 4 star food. However, quality concerns with the primary meal products utilized, the unknown actual concentration of spirulina, combined with use Ethoxyquin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and artificial colors, results in a 2 star rating, preventing it from being rated higher. Future consideration may result in a higher rating.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus