GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Crude Protein (Minimum) 40% Crude Fat (Minimum) 5% Crude Fiber (Maximum) 4% Moisture (Maximum) 9% Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) (Minimum) 1400 mg/kg
Wardley Floating Cichlid Pellet Ingredients:
Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Soy Flour, Soy Protein Concentrate, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Fish Oil, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Algae, Betaine, Shrimp Meal, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Tagetes Extract, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Canthaxanthin, Vitamin E Supplement, Cholecalciferol, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Ethoxyquin (A Preservative), Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, DL-Methionine, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Carbonate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite..
Wardley Floating Cichlid Pellet Ingredients Analysis
The primary ingredient is fish meal. We have no way of measuring the quality and nutritional value of the meal being used as the source. As a result, the quality and subsequent nutritional value are questionable. Use of fish meal, instead of “whole fish meal”, indicates the primary ingredients are fish processing leftovers (scales, skin, bones, and internal organs) deemed unsuitable for human consumption.
The next six ingredients are non-preferred protein sources and fillers. Soy Protein Concentrate possesses very high protein content. Combined with Soy Flour, these are likely the largest contributors of protein to the food. Use of soy products over wheat products is preferred although they should provide a majority of the proteins in the food, as they appear to do in this instance.
Fish oil can be either a beneficial ingredient or a hazardous one. Human grade fish oil collected from specific specifies of fish and screened for mercury will provide necessary omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as protein. Non-human grade fish oil may not be screened for mercury and originate from fish with reduced omega 3 content.
Salt listed this high in the ingredient list is troubling as it can be added to mask the flavor of rancid meat and fats.
Brewers dried yeast is a by-product of the beer making process, this ingredient contains about 45% protein and is rich in Vitamin B. Is use in fish foods is as either as a protein source or a vitamin supplement. Studies do exist indentifying its capacity to improve fish growth rates. When used as a supplement comprising between 2% and 4% of the food, this is an acceptable product. When used as a primary provider of protein comprising 25% or more of the food it is less acceptable as protein digestibility concerns have been documented. Its use in this food does not appear excessive.
The only preferred plant protein provided in this food is the 10th listed ingredient. Salt is listed two ingredients higher. What else needs to be said?
This flake food contains both. Ethoxyquin, and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (synthetic vitamin K.).This food does not contain artificial coloring agents..
Oscarfish.Com Rating: 1 Star
Concerns with the preferred protein content of this pellet, use of Ethoxyquin and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (synthetic vitamin K), the quantity of fillers and non-preferred protein sources, unknown quality of the primary meal in use, and an absence of preferred plant proteins prevent a higher rating.
Even confirming quality of the utilized fish meal would not increase this foods rating beyond a 2 star.
Understanding Oscarfish.Com Ratings:
This review is an attempt to analyze the ingredients, rating them from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in an effort to judge quality based upon three simple criteria.
- Absence of toxic, potentially toxic, and controversial ingredients
- Aquatic Animal protein and Preferred Plant Proteins as the primary protein sources
- A fully nutritious food to include necessary vitamins and minerals with natural sources of vitamins and minerals being preferred.
These basic concepts apply:
- Any food that utilizes Ethoxyquin, BHA, or BHT as preservatives, cannot rate higher than a 4 star food.
- Use of artificial colors prevents rating higher than a 4 star food.
- Any food that utilizes Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Synthetic Vitamin K, aka K3) cannot rate higher than a 5 star food.
- Inclusion of the “Whole Fish”, or “Whole Krill” (in meal form or not) is preferred over fish meal or krill meal.
- In order to achieve a 5 or 6 star rating, the quality of the meal must be known.
- In order to achieve a 6 star rating, the “Whole Fish’ (or whole animal) must be used, either in meal form or in sufficient quantities outside of meal form.
- Inclusion of sufficient quantities of preferred plant proteins is a bonus with sufficient Spirulina content being a significant bonus.
- Use of prebiotics or probiotics is a bonus